Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating to a newer version of windows.

After reading the posts re XP3, it looks as is xp is so outdated that I should move on to a newer version of Windows. So what is involved. Do I have to go to a computer store and buy new software. Can an advanced version be downloaded? How complicated is it to incorporate all my existing files and programs into a new version?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

What led you to conclude that you should move? Are there any current difficulties or issues related to XP that lead you to the conclusion that you should move from it? Also, how recent is your hardware?

In my personal opinion, although the opinion of others is relevant, it should be your own evaluation of your experience with XP that determines whether you should move or not. For that purpose, you need to be aware that an upgrade from XP to Windows 7 is not possible, so you would need to reinstall your current programs again, once Windows 7 is installed, unless you are willing to spend some extra money on a program that eases that migration (there is one available, Laplink's PC Mover).
    Of course, to maintain everything you have with least effort, you could upgrade from XP to Windows Vista and then from Vista to 7. It would be more costlier and I am not sure many Windows experts would recommend that. It would have the benefit of requiring no effort at all to keep your data and programs.

In summary, there are different technical possibilities, but whether they should be considered must be determined by your own evaluation of the problems you currently face with XP. Moving just for the sake of moving, although respectable, may not be the best solution, but I am sure you will get wildly varying opinions on this respect.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by asteven1 View Post
    After reading the posts re XP3, it looks as is xp is so outdated that I should move on to a newer version of Windows.
    asteven1,
    Hello... Let me respond to this question from a slightly different angle...I have just in the past few weeks installed XP-Pro SP-3.(just for fun....for us geeks anyway) Previously running a multi-boot PC with Vista Home Premium and Windows 7, Linux Mint 11 (Katya) with a mix of 32 and 64 bit OS's... some with all MS SP's, patches and updates and some without any.... My observations..... As far as XP vs Vista vs "7"

1. XP-Pro SP-3 and Vista are both slow on Booting up.... "7" 32 and 64 are like lightning....

2. When comparing all 3 when up and running (presuming that your not helping, doing calculations for NASA) There is no discernible difference (except for eye candy) doing the "day to day" PC things ...Email, research, web surfing, etc. In some respects XP is better because it so small and "un-bloated" Images in the blink of a eye.

3.People will scream but what about security... memory management..etc. ....If your using a "real security" program and not some goofy freebie "Dino protect all" or some such twaddle.. you will be fine. As an example i use now Norton 2012 Internet Security and Malwarebytes PRO... both pay for...and have been using this setup for years (Norton 2010.11,12) As far as the other stuff ... who cares...Bottom line If it (XP) works for you ...there is no reason to switch..unless you want to. Regards Fred

PS: You can even make XP look like Vista or "7" with the "Tweaks" that are free and available...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-22 at 09:10.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If you are serious about moving to Windows 7, review the Microsoft article:
    Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

In particular, download and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor as detailed in the step 1 tab of the article. Its not perfect but will give you an idea of hardware and software compatibility issues.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Thanks for the advice. I do not seem to have any problems that I can blame of Win.XP. My system is very slow, but that may not be blamed in Win XP. For now, I'll stick with it.

Thanks
    Slow system? NO, that's not XP. On a well maintained and tuned system, XP will run like a scalded dog (fast).

The problem people have with XP (and they are going to have the same problem with Vista and 7) is lack of maintenance and tuning to get over all the SAFE Defaults that comes with Windows.
    I equate Windows to a new Corvette that comes preset at the factory to only run 45 miles per hour. (a SAFE Default).
    Sure it will be safe and probably never wear out, but is it fun?

I've been tweaking and tuning OS's since I re-wrote the OS for the Commodore 64 computer in ~1980.
    I can take a brand new, or older PC, and in just a few minutes almost double its efficiency (speed).
    My customers are always telling me, "WOW! It never ran that good when it was new".

I've put all my tweaks on my web site, for easy access and download.

Another big problem with upgrading to either Vista or Win-7 on an older PC, is the old and slow hardware, like IDE Hard Drives and less than adequate RAM.

If you're going to upgrade to a newer and MUCH larger OS, they you also need to make sure your hardware is up to the job.

For instance: I was just given a six year old eMachine that was so slow that the owner/user acquired a newer PC from a family member.
    I set up the new PC for him yesterday and he gave me the old PC.

When I got the little eMachine on my work bench I found it only had one 512 meg ram stick and an IDE hard drive, even though there were four SATA II ports on the mobo. I upped the ram to 2 gigabytes and installed a SATA II hard drive. Then I re-installed the OS from the factory restore disk, to the new drive. WOW! It's a whole different computer now.
    It boots up in less than 30 sec's, shuts down in 8 sec's and just runs great.
    I also used AVG Tune-Up to tweak the internet connection, greatly improving its speed.

The last thing I want to change out is the somewhat inadequate Bestec power supply.

Now there is no reason at all, to not stay with XP.

Cheers Mates,
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Slow system? NO, that's not XP. On a well maintained and tuned system, XP will run like a scalded dog (fast).

Now there is no reason at all, to not stay with XP.
    Doc,
    Hello... I couldn't agree more ...I was about to post back and suggest some "system cleanup tools" to "asteven1". In fact I'm using XP-Pro now, and although my "XP" experience is as a "Newbie" (less than a month) Your observations are quite correct..The OS is so small in comparison to Vista and "7" (post results at the end) that it is literately "Wicked fast". (once booted up) My conclusion is the same... most old "box's" need more Ram. My PC, a 2007 HP Pavilion with 3GB RAM and a 750W corsair power supply to feed all my SATA drives ( 4 to 6 depending on my mood) seems to be "rock solid" with XP_Pro.. not a bit of "buggyness" ....click on something and "Wamo" it's up. I'll give XP-Pro some more time and will post my results....for any who might be interested (all two of us) Here are some preliminary results ..using Acronis 2010 V-7046 to do backups on three OS's each have almost the identical software loaded... (still working on XP ) but you will get the idea. Regards Fred

XP-Pro (SP-3 all MS) ...................... Compressed Backup ..4.1 GB

Vista Home Premium SP-1................. Compressed Backup...10.0 GB

Windows "7" Home Premium ( all MS ) Compressed Backup..9.72GB
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    asteven1

Go here to upgrade XP 2 Win's 7: windowssecrets.com/top-story/using-Windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by-step/
    hope this really works cause Ive win's 5 or 6, got XP Pro & I doing this upgrade myself this wkend!!!
    Last edited by booksbenji; 2011-09-24 at 02:20. Reason: wrong site

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by booksbenji View Post
    asteven1

Go here to upgrade XP 2 Win's 7: windowssecrets.com/top-story/using-Windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by-step/
    hope this really works cause Ive win's 5 or 6, got XP Pro & I doing this upgrade myself this wkend!!!
    Welcome to the Lounge.

Unfortunately the link you pointed to explains using XP Mode in Win 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate, not how to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7. A Google Search shows many sites to assist with your upgrade should you choose to do so. I would first run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor from MS. I would also check the Win 7 Compatibility Center.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy