Thread: Bad Tweaks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Bad Tweaks

An interesting blog post - Bad Tweaks by TweakHound.

This is not a comprehensive list of bad/ineffective tweaks. See Increase boot performance for another example.

Joe

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2011-09-23),BATcher (2011-09-23),CLiNT (2011-09-23),Dick-Y (2011-09-22),jwitalka (2011-09-22),RetiredGeek (2011-09-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice list.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    An interesting blog post - Bad Tweaks by TweakHound.
    I'm surprised that he doesn't include (almost) "anything on the Black Viper website", unless it is by implication...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See Increase boot performance for another example.
    I once tried the changing of number of processors and disabling boot gui and it did absolutely nothing to the boot speed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Thus the post. Those settings are primarily used by Microsoft & OEMS to help debug boot issues. I've seen many posts about how it improved boot times but never have I seen any reproducible benchmarking to prove it. IMO, it is a placebo effect.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, it nice to see I'm not the only one who utilizes the good advice of Tweakhound.

Thanks

Tweaks?

The only tweaks I use are hardware oriented. I use multiple disks and multiple partitions that enable Widows to load programs and settings and API's by reading two disks simultaneously - no waiting. I have 8GB RAM. I use Task Sceduler to do routine maintenance so I leave my desktop machine on, and boot times have no real meaning for me.

I've read about how fast SSD's are, but my setup is already faster than I am, and I seldom boot my system (which is pretty darned quick, anyway), so any increase in speed via SSD is simply a foolish waste of money for me. I won't even consider buying an SSD until they can match the capacity of platters at equal or cheaper prices. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1TB Seagate on sale for $60. It's a spare backup drive for my eSATA drive dock that I'll use for my laptop drive images.

I'm comfortable with the Windows 7 interface, my organizational structure allows me to find anything I need quickly using Windows Explorer opening in Computer (I totally ignore libraries), and I've customized my start menu in such a way that I don't miss Classic at all.

For my 2˘, a lot of the "tweaks" out there are just another way for someone other than me getting their fingers into my registry. No thanks.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows