Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 assigned shortcut keys disappear

I have assigned the shortcut key ALT-N to my normal style in my Normal.dotm template. It works for the day it was created but disappears the next day. I do shut down my laptop every day and reboot fresh the next morning.

A friend has some simple macros she has created and assigned a shortcut key to. Same story--works for the day and disappears the next day. However, it does not disappear if she reboots in the middle of the day!!

How can we get these macros and short-cut keys to "stick" in our Normal.dotm from one day to the next? Or, is there a workaround??

Many thanks,
    Georgette

Thanks
    Friend's problem is that she is likely on a network and her kindly network administrator has set things up to overwrite her normal template every day. In Word, this file will be normal.dotm.

Your problem is likely that you have an Add-In blocking you from saving changes to normal. (It really makes changes of its own to normal and blocks saving those changes in poorly written code.)

Solution for both of you may be the same. Put your customizations in a separate template and store that template in Word's Startup folder. For more on templates and addins see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    If your problem is an Add-In, see if disabling it helps.

Try disabling the 'add-in' for Word. Follow the steps below:

1. Click "File" tab, and choose "Options". The "Options" window will be opened up, and click "Add-Ins" from left sidebar.

2. Select the type of add-ins you want to disable from "Manage" dropdown box at the bottom of the windows. Click "Go" to open a dialog.

3. In the dialog you can uncheck any add-ins to disable them.

4. Click "OK" to save the setting.

Also follow the step to rename/delete the Normal.dot (Global Template) for Word from the link below and check if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    To expand on the add-in issue, some add-ins may make settings changes that generate an annoying dialog about having to save changes to Normal.dot. To prevent the dialogue, they mark the Normal template as not having any changes to save. Unfortunately, this also prevents Word from saving your changes.

To "force" a save, you can use the Visual Basic Editor. That might sound scary, but it's not hard. If you press Alt+F11 the VB Editor should open. On the left side, there should be a Project Explorer pane showing your current document and open templates. If you double-click on Normal and display one of the modules under it to make it the active template, then you can use the Save button to save all current changes. After this, you're done with the VB Editor and you can close it.

Another method is to use the "Save All" command. This used to be on the File menu, but Word 2007 has no File menu. You can add it to your Quick Access toolbar. Use the drop-down to choose More Commands, then display the list for All Command, then find Save All (if you click in the list and press the s key, you will find it more quickly than by scrolling). After adding it to the bar, make sure to use it before closing Word.

Any luck?

Thanks
    Jefferson: Save and Save All - Is this going to work when Word thinks there are no changes?

I just tried this, taking a saved document and making changes. Then I put "activedocument.saved = True" in the immediate window. I then saved the document. I closed it. When I reopened, the changes were not there.

I know that if I dirty the document by typing and deleting a character after the code it would then respond to the save command. Sorry about the scepticism. I know that you are far more advanced at coding than I am.

I remember a program that added a button to the toolbar. And then added it again each time Word was started. I think it may have been Adobe. It cured this problem with the code that is causing a problem here - telling Word no changes had been made.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-09-22 at 22:42.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Jefferson: Save and Save All - Is this going to work when Word thinks there are no changes?
    Maybe not. They should be used right after making the change you want to save.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I had this problem in July. Word kept losing or deleting some of the keyboard shortcuts I assigned in my two add-on templates—I don't keep macros and shortcuts in normal. I was working at a client site using Windows XP and W2007. It was very annoying because I was using my paste special shortcut a lot. I reassigned it several times, but it would get lost sometimes in the same Word session but always when I closed and reopened. I brought a later version of my main add-on that I knew worked and loaded it on the client's machine. Same problem. But this time when I reassigned the shortcuts, and they held for the remainder of that job.

In August both my laptop (XP, W2007) and desktop (Win7, W2010) lost some shortcuts. I checked and reassigned, as necessary, all shortcuts in my add-ons and in normal.dotm. So far they've held. Around the same time, a similar question came to Microsoft Communities, and the advice was to troubleshoot for errors. I decided to use open and repair on my add-ons. One did need repair, and one did not. So I have no idea why this happened or what fixed it. I'm just glad it's fixed.

Pam