New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Wrong Path Created by Installation

I have run into something really goofy on my WIN 7 computer. It is an easily repairable frustration more than anything, but something I would love to correct.
    When I install a program and allow a shortcut to be added on the desktop, it always has the wrong path to the program file. I have a customized setup where my OS is on a separate drive from my programs. When I install the programs I always install them on the P, or program drive. (I designate that in the installation location when installing.) In the desktop shortcut properties for the program, it will always have the default path, (C:\Program Files (X86)\....) in the "target" box and the correct path, pointing to the P: in the "Start in" box.
    When I try to use the desktop shortcut, all I need to do is go into the properties and change the target item, but it is still a strange anomaly.
    Harald

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    That is the way the installer program is setup to behave.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This DOESN'T happen to me. I have almost all my programs on the D: drive (a decision i will revisit the next time I build a computer from scratch or do a destructive reinstall of Windows), data on the F: drive (a few other programs on the E: drive), and the shortcuts ALWAYS work for me. This has been on Win XP, Vista 32-bit and Win 7 (both 32- and 64-bit). I've never heard of this problem.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks

New function?

It is interesting that the installer program is doing that now. For years I have had my computer set up as I described. My WIN 7 computer at work never does what I am experiencing, My home computer, where I have the problem only started doing this a month ago and no other flavor of Windows I have used, 3.11, 95, 98, XT, Vista or 7 till now has ever done that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If it is something recent, have you tried a system restore to a time when it was working correctly.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Joe, not recent enough for me to want to go back that far.