New Lounger

Reformatting and upgrading

I want to reformat my drives at this time AND upgrade to XP. I do have a full (paid for) ME product as well as full 98 SE but I really want to do a clean install without an old product on the drive..I would like to know what will happen BEFORE I will it just ask for the original disk? Nice to know these things before I mess up.

Thanks all

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA

Re: Reformatting and upgrading

If you have the XP upgrade it will need to see a copy of Windows 98 or Me. If you have the NON upgrade version, it will not need to see you old version of windows 98 or Me.

Before you format, make sure that you have backed up ALL data, email, favorites (bookmarks) and etc to some place other than the drive that you will be formatting.

When installing Windows XP, you can select to do a clean install from setup wizard. This will in turn format the drive that you are going to install XP on, and then start installing XP. This can be done from the boot of your current Windows version. This method can be done from both the up grade and non upgrade versions.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.