Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EaseUS Todo backup

Hi

I have a problem to eject my ext. hard drive after I have run a backup with EaseUS free version. The message says Windows can't stop your device because a
    program is still using it. All other programs are closed.
    I do not have any problems to eject other ext. drives or flash drives.This has only cropped up with EaseUS.
    I have only recently installed this backup program.
    Help please
    Many thanks
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    It can only be because Easeus ToDo Backup has not terminated, or has left a program behind which is still holding the hard drive. Have a look through Task Manager -> Processes to see if there's anything suspiciously backup-like.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have looked in the Task Manager>Processes and I can see the following;- TrayNotify.exe user 00 1588K EaseUsT and EuWatch. exe user 00 396K EaseUsT.
    Might these two have anything to do with my problem?
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    Both these files seem associated with Easeus ToDo Backup. I would try doing End Process on one, then see if you can eject your external hard drive. If it doesn't work, try End Process on the other, and again try to eject your external hard drive. After you have got rid of both, I suspect that it's bound to work!

But this is only a bodge, and you certainly don't want to do it "in production". Perhaps write to their technical support with the information you've found?
    BATcher

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2011-09-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher
    If I try to end the process, it gives me a warning that I could lose unsaved data, or result in an unstable system.
    I have sent all the details to the technical support of EaseUs, and see what they can come up with.
    I will advise you as soon as I receive a reply.
    Many thanks for your help
    Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    I have only recently installed this backup program.
    Dave ,
    Hello.... Just in case that you can't resolve the problem with EASEUS ...there is another free program that i use that works well, and is not too difficult to use...Macrium Reflect Free I have not use it to do a backup to DVD's but it says it can ....You might give it a "look see" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2011-09-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred
    I will wait and see if the Tech. Support come up with any solutions, and then maybe try the Macrium reflect.
    Regards
    Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher'
    I have ended the two processes in question, after confirmation from the Tech.Support. This seems to have solved the problem.
    Many thanks
    Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred
    The problem seems to be resolved by confirmation from the Tech.Support to end the two processes in question.
    Many thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    Dave - pleased that it's worked! Let's hope they don't crop up again...
    BATcher

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    EASEUS tech support is very helpful, although their English is sometimes convoluted & inscrutable. Given that the free Todo v.3 does both incremental & differential backups on a schedule, then can validate the backups automatically, I don't see why more people on this forum don't use it. Macrium Free is much more limited, Acronis is in the process of further biting the big one, and I haven't heard much about Paragon Free lately (tho Gizmo liked it compared to a previous version of Todo).

Zig

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2011-09-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zig
    Yes, their English is not perfect but they get the message across, and they reply very promptly to all queries.I have only very recently installed the free EaseUs Todo and am having a few teething problems, but I feel this will do a good job.

Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I don't see why more people on this forum don't use it. Macrium Free is much more limited,
    Zig,
    Hello... I don't know why either...I guess the few times that anyone mentioned it was because of problems... I will have to do a side by side comparison to evaluate them properly ..Off hand i don't see much difference between the two for doing Images...Will download EASEUS and give it a go... Regards Fred

PS: here is their version comparison chart EASEUS Version Chart
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-25 at 09:33.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used it to image a partition, I was going to try the restore to dissimilar hardware but that turned out to be grayed out so it must not have been part of the free version. I went ahead and restored the image anyway...and it worked anyway...XP from a 6 core AMD SATAIII to a single core core AMD 939 SATA I (maybe?)...guess I got lucky or that program ain't half bad or both.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Will download EASEUS and give it a go.
    You probably won't notice much difference from Macrium Free if you're just doing manual, whole-disk imaging. The beauty of Todo is that it allows you to do (sorry about that) either incremental or differential backups of selected partitions on a scheduled basis, with clean-up of your backup files (deletion, not consolidation) after a specified number of days or backup sets. With the use of pre- and post-commands (which I had significant problems understanding at first), it can wake the computer from sleep (including hybrid sleep), run the backup, then allow it to go back to sleep. I believe that an unattended backup scheme (with occasional surveillance) leads to actually DOING the backups.

I don't believe Todo is the perfect imaging program, especially for those using dual-boot configurations or NAS (neither of which applies to me), but ShadowProtect 4 Desktop is $70-$90 per computer (depending on whether you buy the 3-pack); Macrium seems much more reasonable for the home user at $29.50-$59 (depending on whether you buy the 4-pack). At totally free (whether you buy the 100-pack or not), with its features, Todo looks to be the best bargain of the lot. (Sorry if I sound like a fanboi here, but I was terribly burned by Acronis after reading YEARS of glowing reviews - they seem to have let the program slide just before I got on board, and it's been all downhill since. Acronis TI seems to work well with nonscheduled, computer-awake backups with manual cleanup of superfluous images, but anything more complex is FRAUGHT with problems, and I'm too lazy to do their beta testing. Check out the User Forum, to see what I mean.)
    Rant endeth here.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-09-25 at 23:17.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-09-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast