New Lounger
    Thanks

DSL Connection problem

I am a bare novice with Win7 and just ran into this problem yesterday. I use AT&T U-verse through a gateway(TV-internet & phone). I get excellent signal strength and all that from the gateway for my in-house wifi network. Because of some glitch that occurred, my netgear wifi connection just disappeared. There was a recorded message from AT&T on the call in number that "some" users may have to unplug the Uverse gateway for 10 seconds and then plug it back in to regain internet activity.. That didn't work. I kept getting an error message saying I needed to get an IP address when I was trouble shooting the netgear connection. Long story shorter, I uninstalled NetGear (supplied by AT&T) and reinstalled it. I had to setup a new 1wire connection for my Gateway desktop PC (XPsp3) with netgear with the wireless program. I gGot a new wireless connection now called 1wire189, instead of the previous 1wire159. The desktop finally recognized it and I am back in business. But I spent a couple hours going in circles, and to tell the truth, I don't know what I finally did when it decided to work again.

Then my headache compounded. My wife as a Gateway Win7 labtop I got her last year for Mother's Day. The Gateway Win7 laptop always worked fine with the recognizing and connecting with the 1wire159.... until I created the new netwire189 connection. Now, it "recognizes" the 1wire189 connection, but it will not connect. It will start connecting and the wifi icon will get a yellow splash and finally an error message "CAN'T CONNECT" or something to that effect. There is some sort of incompatable kink in the coonection program, I don't know whether it is a security code or what. I don't have my notes with me here at the office. I called my son, the IT grad 100 miles away and he said that was not a Win7 problem. It was all in the "router" sending the signal and windows7 just connects. Duh, no it doesn't. I had to explain to him the Uverse gateway takes care of the TV, internet and the telephone lines all in the same electronic unit. I don't have a separate router like he does which plugs into his cable box. My son told me to unhook the Uverse gateway for 15 seconds, so I did. So I unplugged it for 15 seconds, and started all over again with the laptop. Same result. The trouble shooter program is unable to resolve the problem. Same thing. My wife thinks I am an idiot, my son thinks I am an idiot. She hates all PCs because all her friends never have a problem and she thinks they all should be like the one where she works (that is on a company IT network with several ITs keeping it running}. And I am beginning to feel like an idiot!

Any suggestions, or theraputic recommendations would be welcomed. I just can't navigate around in Windows7 like I can in XP. I think there must be some file or field that needs a simple change, but I will be danged if I can find it.
    Tigerbeetle

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tigerbeetle, Welcome to the world of networks. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that can go wrong. I still have not figured out my issue with not being able to discover devices on my wired network. On your issue, I am not familiar at all with U-verse. However, I assume it is something like cable. When you lose the connection, the normal step is to reboot (power off /on) the modem or interface device. This would be your gateway device. The reboot of the interface will cause the it to go through its cycle of finding a channel on the U-verse system, connecting with the headend, and getting assigned an IP connection to the Internet. However, now the gateway needs to have an IP connection to the Netgear router. Normally, if you reboot the modem (gateway), it will request a new local IP connection from the router. Sometimes you need to reboot the router, also, to get it to start over again and establish the connection.

I am not sure what your 1wire159 means. Normally, a wireless router sets up a named wireless network that you then search out with your computer and connect to. The name of this network can be configured in the router, and there are usually defaults like "netgear." Perhaps your U-verse either has different defaults, or even engages and configures the router when the gateway connects. Anyway, once you have a named wireless network, you should be able to connect to it. However, most wireless networks use encryption so others cannot pick up your information over the air. You won't be able to connect unless you know the key assigned to the wireless network. If you open the wireless setup program in Windows, it should list all networks in range, and it should show if those networks are secure. Assuming that your U-verse gateway configured the name of the wireless network, I would guess that it also created the security key using some formula. I would expect you to have been given instructions for how to determine that key. If not, assuming U-verse did not also change the router access codes, you may be able to log on to the Netgear router and look for the network name and security code. I understand the default address for Netgear is 192.168.0.1. That means if you type http://192.168.0.1 in your browser from the computer that is working you should connect to the Netgear admin program and give a log on screen. The default account for Netgear is UN: admin PW: password. If you get into the router, look under configuring the wireless network, and you should see the name of the network and the security key. If may be that U-verse changes those default account criteria (you really should not use defaults in a wireless network). If so, you will need to get the information from AT&T. If the router has an Ethernet connection, I would connect a computer temporarily to that wired connection to access the router. This will eliminate possible issues.

The final thing is that your computer needs to have an IP address that is on the same subnet as the wireless router. Normally, that means that the first three numbers in the address, e.g. 192.168.0.n must be the same as those on the router. That last number (n) distinguishes which device. I would open the network connection on your computer and make sure it is set for DNS, which instructs it to get an IP address from the DNS server in the router.

I don't know if this helps. Perhaps someone with U-verse experience can give you more precise advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I moved these posts to their own thread. Please do not hijack other threads. Especially when the problem seems similar it quickly becomes very confusing about which problem a response refers.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I had replied (entered a post) earlier today to throw in my problem. But it went into cyberspace somewhere. I was unable to activate my wireless connection and the Win7 trouble shooter wasn't able to figure it out either. I hit the right bunch of questions after I got home and solved my problem. I had entered the wrong ID name in my wireless gateway (uverse). Now all is good and my wife isn't calling me names any more. ) I knew it had to be something simple, but I asm not very good at navigating in Win7. I have and still am, using XPsp3 and I am totally satisfied with it. Tigerbeetle