5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Transfer messages from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail

Is there an easy (not too technical!) way to get my email folders and message content transferred from old Vista laptop to new Windows 7 (64 bit) PC? There are a LOT of messages! Email files never seem to be easy to find or access unlike documents!

Thanks for any advice!

Linda

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You could try to export the messages as a csv file, then import them into WLM. When I open WLM in Win 7 I see these:

ImportMessages1.jpgImportMessages2.jpg

I think you have to export the WM messages to csv file first then use this to import into WLM. A little trial and error should help here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi and thanks, Ted. I was playing around a bit after posting and found an "export" function in the Windows Mail so I exported everything as Windows Mail into a document and put it on a DVD. I then inserted the DVD into the PC and found an "import" function and imported them with the Windows Mail option. It did import all the files, but they aren't in my WLM program. They are located in this lengthy path: "App Data - Local - Microsoft - Windows Live Mail - Storage Folders - Imported Folders - Documents - Local Folders". Clicking on Local Folders brought up all the email folders from the laptop with messages inside (eml extensions).

Is what I did doing it as a csv file as you suggested? Or did I do something wrong. The good news is that they are in the computer. Now, to figure out how to get them into WLM in the computer!

Puzzling ....

Thanks
    If I remember correctly there are a couple of options when you choose to export in WM. One of the options should be as a csv file (I believe). I would try this to see what happens when you then import into WLM.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I'll try again to see if I can save it as a cvs file. Will post back after playing around a bit more. Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    By way of update: just discovered that all the emails had been transferred into my current Windows Live Mail account using the method I described to Ted, above. They were listed in my email folder list as "Documents"! So the export/import as Windows Mail selection worked after all - I just didn't know where to find the emails! Hope this helps another Lounge seeker with the same issue.

Linda

Thanks
    Linda, thanks for letting us know you have things ironed out. Hopefully my posts helped steer you in the right direction.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Remember, you can also copy and burn to CD/DVD the entire contents of the WLM root "store" folder for future posterity.
    Doing this regularly will help to ensure you never loose email, contacts, & even folder structure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-10-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, you're welcome. Your posts were, as always, a big help! Thanks for being so active a member of this fabulous Lounge!

Linda

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i need to learn how to do exactly that, CLiNT - how to burn the entire contents of WLM to CD !
    i think i need to re-install WLM (error msg 0x800C006C means i cannot send email, only receive it) and don't want to lose anything.

i hope you read this post and have a minute to point me in the right direction on the root "store" folder ... how to get to it to save/burn it, and how to restore it back to WLM once it's on the CD.

many thanks,
    Michael

Thanks
    If you've installed Windows Live Mail in Vista or Windows 7, chances are your email is stored in subfolders of C:\Users\ logon \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail, where logon is, of course, the name you use to log onto Windows.

If you installed Windows Live Mail into XP, the path is probably C:\Documents and Settings\ logon \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

You may run into trouble navigating Windows Explorer to either of those folders, however. That's because several of the folders within those paths are hidden. But you can easily get inside the hidden folders via the command prompt. In Vista or Windows 7, click Start, type %homepath%\appdata\local, and press ENTER. In XP, click Start, then Run, type %homepath%\local settings\application data, and press ENTER. You'll still have to drill down a few folders from there, but those folders will all be visible.
    You may also use the export function from within the client to export both email and contacts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-10-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you, CLiNT.

i'm not quite clear. if i go through explorer, do i just copy the WLM file to disk ?

and if i use EITHER method (and i'd rather work within the client - and i am running Win 7 x64) will the export keep my messages separated by account or not?

last, does it make sense that re-installing WLM probably will resolve whatever's wrong with WLM so that i can again send email ?

thanks again,
    Michael

Thanks
    Look through this thread, it may help clear up some issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-10-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, somehow missed your added suggestion re. burning to CD/DVD. A positive suggestion which I will undertake, thanks to your additional help to bigpygme and the link you provided. Update: Just followed the path to the storage folder and found them! Now will burn them to DVD and be double safe! Thanks ... as always.

Linda