Lounger
    Thanks

None of my computers can access the Square Trade website

I'm putting this in Networking because I suspect it must have something to do with the router. I can't access Square Trade on either of my computers. All I get is a GIF 1x1 pixel label on a blank tab. It doesn't matter if I click on a link or type the addy in.

I don't know the first thing about connectivity. Is there something an amateur can do about this?

Thanks,

JHensley
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely the website, not your computers - assuming all other sites work. Have you tried a different browser.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope. Neither Firefox nor IE can see it. Try googling Square Trade (I'm assuming I'm not to post the link here) and see for yourself. This is a major site and I don't see any reports of it being offline. I'll bet it shows up just fine.

JHensley

Thanks
    I am able to go to Square Trade with Google Chrome and IE10 (both opened while using Win 8 Dev Preview within Virtual Box). Site works fine. I assume the site I have linked is what you are talking about. I wonder if it's listed in a blocked site area of your browser. Perhaps if you check in blocked sites under Internet options, Privacy tab.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gif_image_capture.jpgYes, that is the site. And the picture is what I see. It doesn't matter to what I link; as long as it's in Square Trade's domain, no can see at my house. I'm using Firefox right now and I don't see where there is a "blocked site" choice. But, why would that affect IE or Firefox on another computer?

JHensley

Thanks
    Do you use the same software firewall on both your computers? If so, check the settings to see if it is blocking content on the site. Specifically place the site name 'www.squaretrade.com' in any "allow" list in your firewall settings.

Thanks
    I would also try to clear all TIF and cookies and try again. I would also flush your DNS Cache.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, SUCCESS!

I followed all the advice. After a few false starts, I managed to do everything you all recommended. Finally, I was able to access the site. This experiment has cost me money, b/c I then picked up the warranty I'd wanted. ;-P

At the same time, I discovered that when I accessed a stored webpage to click on a link to a lower cost, suddenly the fancy graphics disappeared and I was told to allow Javascript to run. (It WAS set to "allow.") Also, I couldn't get the full functionality of the page back again (including any link to buy anything), but, instead of nothing showing up at all, there was just badly-arranged text.

Apparently, clicking on older links causes my browser to "remember" the page badly, somehow. Nonetheless, I have managed to get everything working again by clearing everything out again. I am still left mystified as to why there are all these problems with this one site, when I don't have them with any others.

Regardless, it seems I can now work the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Yours,

JHensley

Thanks
    Glad you got it fixed. Does it seem to have been a problem with old pages loading and clearing the history and cookies did the job?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Clearing the cookies and Internet cache didn't seem to work, nor did trying to hunt down and grant permissions everywhere in Kaspersky Internet Suite. Cleaning the DNS cache worked the first time. The second time, after it got messed up again--tho' no longer a COMPLETE blank page--it was clearing the history of all those squaretrade.com = 1x1 GIF pages that did it. Since I am only vaguely aware of what all this stuff does, it seems odd to me, but oh well.

Thanks
    It may have been a combination of the History and DNS Cache. Glad it's solved.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had same issue with Kaspersky, I tried all listed here and added to exception rules, etc but not working. It seems once I disabled the anti-banner, it seems to be working.