4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MySQL installation failure: "could not start the service"

I spent part of the past week trying to build a WAMP environment on a relative's computer while I was visiting. I couldn't get MySQL to install. I hope to figure out what went wrong before the next time I'm there.

The installation failed in the "installing and starting service" step, with the message "could not start the service." The Event Viewer gave only the message "Faulting application mysqld.exe, version 5.5.16.0, faulting module mysqld.exe, version 5.5.16.0, fault address 0x0023f7a8."

I tried everything I can think of, including uninstall/reinstall, downloading a new copy of the installation file, and shutting down Apache during the install.

What might be wrong? If the problem can't be identified, what else might I try?

The system is WinXP SP3. The MySQL installer is mysql-5.5.16-win32.msi. I'd already installed Apache 2.2.21 and PHP 5.2.17 and confirmed that they work properly.

The options I chose for the installation were:

Setup type: Typical
    Configuration: Detailed
    Server type: Developer
    Database usage: Multifunctional
    InnoDB Tablespace settings: 'C:\MySQL Datafiles\
    Connections: Decision Support
    Networking: TCP/IP enabled, port number 3306, firewall exception enabled or disabled (I've tried both)
    Character set: standard
    Windows options: Install as Windows service, service name MySQL, Launch automatically selected
    Security options: enabled... remote not selected, anonymous account not selectedNew WinXP installation

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This isn't a fix, it's an alternative.
    Use The Uniform Server. It's a self contained WAMP server that requires no installation and is therefore portable and simple to setup. And it's free, of course.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think you would need to contact MySQL support, because they are the most likely to know what can cause that.

Do they still have previous versions available for download? If so, why don't you try a previous version? I just realized they have MySQL 5.1 community release, so try that. There shouldn't be any obvious disadvantages in going with 5.1 instead of 5.5.

Thanks
    Version 5.5 is claims to have a vast performance improvement running on Windows OS. I am having same issue with getting it installed. I have been trying for several months now with not luck.I have tried on several version of Windows. The Oracle mySQL support has been ... well.. no help. Unfortunately this seams to be a commo9n issue that mySQL does not seam to have as a high priority to resolve on the Windows platform.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't really keep up with the MySQL versions. I still have what I think is 5.0.19 installed locally and it works fine. I just test stuff with it, so not having the fastest version is really not an issue for me.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, I can' try any of them until the next time I visit, but I'll keep them on hand for when I do.

Thanks
    If you have a WinXP SP3. box (maybe set up a VM) then you could try installing mySQL 5.5 to see if you can figure out how to get it to install.

I will be attempting it again this week. If I figure out anything I will post it here.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."