2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best way to check type of installed memory?

Trying to nurse an ancient (2004, Dell) computer through a few more months, running Windows XP

Only 1GB of RAM installed. I'm computer literate but not hardware literate, although a few years ago I managed to install new memory in my wife's computer.

What's the easiest way to determine the type of installed memory and the possibilities for adding / replacing?

J

Thanks
    Crucial has a scanner that will tell you all you need to know:
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

J
    erry

Thanks
    I use SIW for this. Will give you more info than you can ever use. Take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    CPU-Z will tell you the make, model number, and timings of your memory.
    You can/should be able to look up the specs on the internet for your model of Dell computer to learn
    what/ how much memory is compatible.

Thanks
    Another useful utility (apart from Speccy) which tells you more than you ever thought possible, or ever wanted to know, about your hardware is HWiNFO (32 or 64)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    All the above tools will do a great job. One hazard you may run into however is that Dell machines often do not support these tools very well. Some hardware resources are not detected accurately.

You may get lucky and find the memory requirements using those tools (they certainly give a lot of very useful info in addition to memory), but if they don't report accurately, then follow CLiNT's advice: go to the Dell website and enter your asset tag number from the back of the Dell. That will find the precise model and full spec's, including max memory and the motherboard configuration.

From the age of your Dell, I'm guessing that it will be a Dimension. XP will be quite happy in 1GB in such a machine and unless you have heavy requirements it is unlikely to need a ram upgrade to keep the machine running until you want to update to a new box. So, perhaps focus on other system parameters. The CPU might be a single core Celeron and the machine may be loaded with heavy AV or other programs that will cause it to run poorly. It's often difficult to upgrade the CPU on Dell motherboards as they are locked by the BIOS, but you might get lucky. Also review the what software is running and how much needs to run.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefnl View Post
    Trying to nurse an ancient (2004, Dell) computer through a few more months, running Windows XP

Only 1GB of RAM installed. I'm computer literate but not hardware literate, although a few years ago I managed to install new memory in my wife's computer.

What's the easiest way to determine the type of installed memory and the possibilities for adding / replacing?

J
    Hello,
    In addition to what Jerry has posted #2 about "crucial" they have "live chat" and a PC scanner, or "Phone help". Also a FAQ's page that will clear up any questions about you PC and "memory" that your "SIW",CPUZ, etc. can't answer....Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-25 at 18:07.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)