Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print Shop Deluxe install fails in XP Mode

I have a similar situation, regarding a really old application: PrintShop Ensemble II for Windows, circa Win95. We use it at our business for various posters and client fliers, etc. Haven't upgraded to a newer version because Broderbund NEVER allows newer versions to utilize older artwork that has been created, and we have just too much old stuff (that we re-use) to throw it all out. And, my technology-challenged-wife uses and likes it as it is. Works fine under Win98, Win2k and WinXP, but obviously not in native Win7 (which we have not yet installed at her business). I installed XP-Mode in Win7 on my home office PC specifically to use this and some old R&R-Windows runtime report utilities. The R&R stuff seems to run fine, but I cannot install PSD. The install routine fails every time for PSD - fails with a GPF (see attached), but it works fine for installing the various fonts from the CD (which can be installed separately). I actually tried just copying the entire working directory from an XP machine to the virtual XP directory, and it starts fine but upon trying to load an existing file it "complains" that it cannot "read" the "library" files (ie: graphics libraries) it needs (see attached). I checked and the PATH contains a link to the LIBS directory under the program's root. I even copied all the library files into the program's root -- but they still don't get found. Strange thing is, I can tell the program to look for "alternate libraries" during design, and it will see them, in both the root and in the LIBS directory -- I can even choose a graphic from a library and it uses it, but the funky way it is called makes it hard to identify which graphic is in which library to start again. My guess is that if I could run the setup program to completion that all would work, but I can't. No problem running SETUP or the actual program in a "real" XP machine -- even on an NTFS partition, such as XP-Mode uses. I'm out of ideas. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. TIA.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Print Shop is one of the programs that I am still running on my XP machine, that I would like to move over to the WIN 7 if I go with a WinXP mode set up. My copy of Print Shop is Deluxe version 6 with a 1998 copyright date. It does not seem to mention a Win version number. I am guessing it was Win98 because I had it before the XP machine on a previous Dell. I have not attempted to load the PS program in Win 7.

Barbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Please do not hijack a thread. I moved these posts to their own thread.

While in XP mode, have you tried running the installer in either Win98 or Win95 compatibility mode?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

Sorry. I had not intended to hijack the thread, which was about XP Mode, but to comment on my problem. Thanx for moving this to a more appropriate place.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

While in XP mode, have you tried running the installer in either Win98 or Win95 compatibility mode?

Joe
    Hi Joe:

Yes, I did try running the installer in compatibility mode by making a desktop link and setting the compatiblity mode. No dice. The only other thing that occurred to me is that maybe the Phenom-II Core-6 CPU in this box is just too fast... Seems to me we used to get those kind of weird errors "back in the day"... But it doesn't explain why I can still access the libraries manually... So, I'm still stumped.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is unlikely that the faster processor is the cause. It might in fact help because of the additional overhead of the VM.

On the XP machine where PSD is installed, have you checked what the environment variables are? Have you checked Win.ini to see if something was added there?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

I'll re-check the environmental variables, but I had manually added the LIB directory on my desktop's XP-Mode path. I'll check win.ini when I get home tonight.

However, I DO think it's also related to CPU speed. Knowing my laptop is a year old, but not as fast as the new desktop, I installed XP-Mode on it last night, and after doing all the usual starting windows update patches, virus/firewall install, etc., I popped in the PSD install CD and it ran the install just fine. Unfortunately, however, I got a GPF when I attempted to load one of the old projects -- similar to the GPF I had gotten on the install process itself on the desktop. I'll play around some more over the weekend, but I'm beginning to think I'll just need to get a more modern replacement for PSD -- hopefully freeware or inexpensive package that is similar enough to PSD that my wife can learn it without much pain.

Thanx for your help. If I make more progress I will post the results.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All:

Well, I was pretty discouraged after my failure trying on my laptop (9/30 posting), but I think I've found a solution. Last night I installed Oracle VirtualBox on the fast workstation, and PSDeluxe not only installed, but it ran -- at least for an initial test. I had quite a bit of trouble with the install of VirtualBox -- it locked up on me several times, and at one point I just uninstalled it (after all the time putting WinXP on it...), but after a 2nd install, then another lockup when trying to install SP1a, running a repair in place -- I just stopped at SP0 and tried PSDeluxe and it worked. Tonight I will try doing the usual Windows Updates, and maybe the service pack installs, too, but if I have no further problems, this is my solution.

So, as suggested, when the Micro$$oft solution didn't work, I used an alternate, and it seems to be fine. Just thought I'd pass it along... Thanx for your help.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it working. Nice detective work. Thanks for posting back.

Joe