Thanks

Carbon Copy Cloner caushes Windows 7 to crash (SOLVED!)

Hey all,

I've been using Windows 7 Pro x64 without any issue for awhile, yet I have recently run into a befuddling problem. I have a Mac whose hard drive I'm going to be upgrading. So I've decided to clone the old drive to the newer, replacement drive.

To that end, I've installed the drive in my PC, and used MacDrive to format the drive as a GUID partition scheme with a single HFS+ partition. I then attached the two computers - Mac and PC - directly with an Ethernet cable, since I know Gigabit Ethernet transfers are going to be MUCH faster in this case. Once I had both computers on the same ad-hoc LAN, I mounted the drive on my Mac, and then ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the drive. After about 30-40 minutes, I find that my PC crashes and then reboots. I repeated the issue twice just to be sure that it wasn't a glitch or a fluke.

I used BlueScreenView to review the error logs, and apparently the Windows NT kernel is causing the problem:

BlueScreen Report.JPG

I also have a copy from the actual Windows error report at boot time:

Error Report.JPG

I've checked that there are no attached peripheral devices or active background programs at either computer that might interfere with the data transfer. I've also checked my primary Windows drive, the Mac drive, and the drive I'm cloning to, and they all check out as healthy and problem-free. I also checked my RAM to ensure that this wasn't an issue.

I'm not sure what else to do, but I must create this backup, or I will not be able to upgrade my current Mac drive!
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-10-04 at 14:09.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you sure you are using a version of MacDrive that supports Windows 7?

Joe

Thanks
    Yes Joe, I am using the latest version of MacDrive, but it turns out that the CCC version has some issues! According to their help forum, the current version of CCC has a bug that was causing me to experience the file access errors! Soon, the developers are going to be releasing an update that should hopefully resolve the issue. Since I can't make a bootable backup of my drive over Ethernet anyway, I think I'll take the direct approach, and simply attach the drive directly to the Mac with a SATA to USB cable, and clone the drive from there.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you found out something worthwhile. Good luck in the backup and upgrade.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe, the backup was a success! Hooray for CCC!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Joe