Star Lounger
    Thanks

OEM Windows key vs. generic Win 7/SP1 ISO image

A friend's Win 7 was zapped by what appears to be a teenager's browsing habits. Auto-repair can't repair it, only mentioning something about "file corruption," so I downloaded a Win 7 ISO (actually both the 32 and 64). I can get to a command prompt and copy data to a USB stick. My question:

What is the chance that the Windows key, on a sticker prominently displaying "TOSHIBA", is not going to be accepted by the generic Win 7 installer?

If so, will this happen before or after the installer reformats the existing drive?

Thanks!

Thanks
    The Toshiba should have a recovery partition. What you're talking about will work, so long as the versions match and the ISO you downloaded is OEM. But you should start looking for Toshiba drivers; they won't all be available through a generic ISO.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I'd say your chances are slim...and you will be promted to format your disk prior to any product key insertion menu for the clean install.
    If you already have a legitimate OEM disk with a product key, why are you intent on a "Windows 7 ISO" download?

Check out this thread from "Social Technet forum", it may provide some ideas and possibly a work-around.

So the procedure required is:

* Create an ISO image of the install disk
    * Locate the file ei.cfg which is in the \sources folder on the disk
    * Alter the entry value for 'Channel' from Retail to OEM
    * Burn the altered ISO image to disk, to create a new install disk which will work with your OEM install key.
    If it works out, this would be a great & cheap way to dump a crapy OEM disk for a pristine os clean install disk.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-26 at 09:50.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    If you already have a legitimate OEM disk with a product key...
    That's would be the key phrase. The key is on the laptop, but it did not come with an install disk (apparently confirmed by Best Buy when the friend took it to them).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    A friend's Win 7 was zapped by what appears to be a teenager's browsing habits. Auto-repair can't repair it, only mentioning something about "file corruption,"
    Hello... When you say "Auto-repair".... what exactly did you try? If the problem is a "corrupt file" you can run "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) using an Elevated Command Prompt .. This will repair corrupt files....Also you could order a (OEM) disk from the manufacturer ..I did this once with HP... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The Toshiba should have a recovery partition. What you're talking about will work, so long as the versions match and the ISO you downloaded is OEM. But you should start looking for Toshiba drivers; they won't all be available through a generic ISO.
    It does have the partition, but it apparently cannot do the repair, because the auto-recovery that kicks in when the laptop boots reports that it cannot. Oddly, though, when I used Paragon's recovery utility to boot from that recovery partition directly, it aborted with a message that it was the wrong version of Windows (despite looking like it was the same recovery utility that runs from a plain, unaltered boot).

Also, there are actually three partitions and I thought this was odd, but don't know enough about Windows 7 setups. I'm attaching an image of what it found. Is this normal for Windows 7 or does that small partition 0 look suspicious?
    DSCF7316.JPG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello... When you say "Auto-repair".... what exactly did you try? If the problem is a "corrupt file" you can run "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) using an Elevated Command Prompt .. This will repair corrupt files....Also you could order a (OEM) disk from the manufacturer ..I did this once with HP... Regards Fred
    I'll try your suggestion, thanks. "Auto-repair" was referring to what was running automatically when I attempted to boot the laptop, which I believe leads to the "System Recovery Options" menu after it failed. I tried restoring to an earlier point, but several interations of that did not help. I also tried launching recovery that from the Paragon recovery menu (although not directly — I think it was when I used it to boot from the recovery partition).

The sad thing is that my friend bought an extended warranty from Best Buy, which they can apparently pull up on their system, but she does not have the "official" receipt or whatever due to several moves in between the time she bought it. Best Buy does not seem interested in helping without the receipt.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    I'll try your suggestion, thanks. "Auto-repair" was referring to what was running automatically when I attempted to boot the laptop, which I believe leads to the "System Recovery Options" menu after it failed. I tried restoring to an earlier point, but several interations of that did not help. I also tried launching recovery that from the Paragon recovery menu (although not directly — I think it was when I used it to boot from the recovery partition).
    Hello... On most OS's you have to enter an "F type" command upon booting (BIOS Screen) to enter the recovery partition options.. On my OS it was F-11 ... not sure what your PC is.Then you should be able to use the "Recovery Partition "..Unless it was changed by Paragon... When booting my OS, F-11 now will load up Acronis Recovery Manager... If Paragon is similar to Acronis, it would allow you to boot into their program ...So you could recover a previously made Image .... nothing to do with the recovery partition... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As it turns out, CLiNT was on the right track: There was no disk, but I forgot (and then ignored while concentrating on less destructive options) that the "Recovery Options" included a "Toshiba System Restore" at the bottom. I had looked at that early in the process and had backed away quickly when it became obvious that it was the el cheapo "support" option that wiped out your existing stuff. However, after looking at all the options, and getting critical data off the drive, I decided to exercise that option. So she's back up. Thanks for all input on this.

Thanks
    Would that be a recovery image type of restore disk or partition?
    The advice in the link to Post #3 in this thread is still a potential option, at your leisure of course.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-26 at 20:29.