Thanks

Upgrade -vs- new install on working system

I hate having a smattering of OSes in my business. We kept everything at XP-Pro version for as long as possible, but then bought a laptop during that brief period when Dell only offered Vista (ugh!) and bought another Vista system at 10PM from Office Depot to replace a suddenly dead and very vital computer in our store. Windows 7 appears to be a decent enough OS and I am now in the process of bringing everything up Windows 7 Pro.

This question is about that Office Depot system. It came with Vista Home, so I bought a Vista Pro full install disk and completely overwrote all the Home stuff and the HP crap along with it. It took all night, but at least it came free of baggage. Since then we have installed and run MS Office, our POS software, UPS shipping software, Norton Internet Security, and various other software. So the system has acquired a bunch more baggage and I don't want to carry that forward. I will only have one night to do the upgrade and the system needs to work by 10 the next morning, so I'd rather do a clean install if possible, but I don't want to spend an extra hundred bucks for the privilege.

So if I buy the upgrade disk is there some way to do a full installation from a formatted disk? Will it check to see that I had Vista and then completely blow everything away and load it all fresh? Or will it just update the OS and try to leave all of the old software there so that I have to struggle with eliminating it?

Thanks,

--Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See this thread, upgrade install, for links to procedures for performing a clean install with upgrade media.

Joe

Thanks
    Avoid upgrade media at all cost when in comes to running a professional/business environment, always go full retail package.
    Licensing agreements in the upgrade media were always vague at best and you may end up jumping through hoops to reinstall.

Go for a Windows 7 professional volume licensing package or family pack and clean install all your computers.
    You can start with the one you need up and running right away.

If you do decide on using upgrade media as opposed to the full retail package, the links in the thread Joe points you to offer some workarounds
    to the potential upgrade dilemma:

Windows 7 - Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Thanks
    According to that volume licensing link "Buying new computers with Windows 7 Professional pre-installed is the most cost-effective way to upgrade." That's what I usually do, though I have been known to upgrade, too. I've replaced three computers this year, but I'm not ready to replace the two remaining ones with Vista on them. I have no idea what volume licensing costs, but I'm betting that it is too expensive for just these two computers. Additionally, one of the two remaining computers will probably be upgraded, not fully installed. So I will buy the upgrade disks and follow the instructions in those other links to make sure it goes well.

Thanks very much for the advice, guys.

--Brian