Thanks

Remote Desktop can require IP address

I often Remote Desktop from home into work PCs using a VPN set up by the Microsoft Network Connection software on my home PC.
    When at work I can Remote Desktop from my work PC into any of these PCs using their computer name.
    When at home, for some work PCs (but not all) I have to specify their local IP address, e.g. mstsc /v:192.168.0.234 because their computer name, e.g. mstsc /v:PC34, gives an error message.

Is there anything I should do on those PCs so that I can Remote Desktop in from home using the PC name? Perhaps ipconfig /registerdns? Or by trying to connect using the FQDN, e.g. PC34.domain.co.uk rather than PC34?

I am puzzled by the inconsistency - you'd expect them all to work using computer name, or none!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the FQDN?

Are the troublesome PCs on a different network segment? Behind a secondary firewall?

Are you using the same credentials to login from work & home?

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    VPNs tend not to change the DNS of your machine, so you are probably seeing the request served by your local DNS first, then by the remote site. FQDN should fix it, or connect to a terminal server / workstation on the remote network and work from there.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have tried the FQDN as PC34.domain.co.uk and that gives the message that the FQDN cannot be found. But PC34.domain.local works!

There's nothing unusual about the work PC setups; same subnet, no software firewalls, same credentials from work or home (but if you mean domain logon and password, that can only come if connected first, surely!).

Yes, I can Remote Desktop into my work PC from home, then Remote Desktop from there into any other work PC, but that's two paths rather than the preferable one.

I'm still puzzled why I can get it to work using just "PC30", but need "PC34.domain.local"...
    BATcher

Administrator
    Thanks
    Without knowing the details of the network and domain configurations, I'd suspect something in the DNS caching but wouldn't want to upset anything by clearing it.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe and Paul - I will just affix .domain.local to the pcname in the shortcut then - you have to do it only the once!
    BATcher

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    IPCONFIG /ALL should list the domain suffix used by the remote domain. To add this to your PC you need to add it to the domain search suffix setting via the registry.

DNS searches are done is stages, first with the local suffix appended to the address or any entries in the search suffix if used, then without a suffix. Adding your own suffix stops the append and only searches in the specified domain.

cheers, Paul