Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

2010: associate text field with author name in document panel

Really scratching my head on this.
    In 2010, MS has a sample template called "Equity Resume"
    The top field allows the input of a person's name. The name can be entered in the template
    or in the document panel and one changes the other.

How was that field created?

For the life of me, in developer mode, I cannot get a similar looking and acting field.

I must be missing about 3 steps in addition to brain cells.

Thanks in advance.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Thanks
    For some reason, Word 2010 crashes every time I try to display the Document Panel... so unfortunately I can't really see what happening. Hopefully someone else will have better luck.

Thanks
    This is something very new for those of us who think we understand Word 2003 and has to do with the XML structure of the documents and templates. (And, no I don't understand it either but I can use tools developed by others.)

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm - section 7. Word2007 & Content Controls
    For a lot more easy control over such controls see the Add-In at:
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/ContentCon...ols_Add_In.htm.
    This Add-In gives control over a number of methods of repeating data in Word 2007 & 2010. I don't know that it works with earlier versions, haven't tried it with them.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-09-28 at 10:11.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pam and Charles...however, this link doesn't really provide the solution.
    If you have 2010, try opening the template I mentioned above and look at the first control -- the person's name.
    There's a "tab" that says "Resume Name" that selects the entire table and provides access to QuickParts...but, it's still not clear (at least to me) how the person's name was associated w/the Author Name in the doc properties.

Thanks
    Those links do explain it. The Repeating Data part 7 tells how to do it. The Author property is filled in automatically by Word, the control was renamed "Resume Name" from Author in the same way that the Repeating Data page changed the Comments property to "Client Name." It is still the Author property, just with a different name on the control in the page. As such, it is filled in automatically by Word.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That's almost it!
    I renamed the QuickParts. However, unlike the template, I have to select the text in order to fill it in.
    In the template, clicking on the field highlights the entire field for entry. I'm still banging around on this.
    Surely isn't intuitive.

Thanks
    To get the click and select effect required a macrobutton field in earlier versions of Word.
    When I download this resume I don't see any fields, though. Just controls.

If I insert a plain text control and, while in design mode, type prompt language into the control, it works like the fields in the template (after I turn Design Mode back off). When I click on the prompt language I had typed in it was all selected. If I typed anything, it replaced the prompt.

These are different from the "Author" / "Resume Name" control which is mapped to the document property. The other ones do not appear to be linked to any document properties.

Note that in the template you saw the parts with these controls are available in Quick Parts.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin