New Lounger
    Thanks

XP rebooting constantly

One of my XP computers is constantly rebooting, does not go into safe mode also. I have had this problem several times with other computers and the solution has always been as under :
    1) Boot into recovery console and do "chkdsk c: /r"
    2) Boot into UBCD4WIN and restore registry.
    This has always worked but this time it does not. I am still having same error. When I do chkdsk, I get 4Kb bad sectors. Is it possible that system files are in that sector? How to solve this problem. I can see and read the drive from within UBCD4WIN.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately once a hard drive starts showing bad sectors it is time to get as much data off it as possible and replace it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2011-10-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemang View Post
    One of my XP computers is constantly rebooting, does not go into safe mode also. I have had this problem several times with other computers and the solution has always been as under :
    This has always worked but this time it does not. I am still having same error. When I do chkdsk, I get 4Kb bad sectors. Is it possible that system files are in that sector? How to solve this problem. I can see and read the drive from within UBCD4WIN.
    If CHKDSK completes the process ok, then you can try a couple other things:
    1- from the Recovery Console, run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT to rewrite the boot sector.

2- from either the Recovery Console, (or with the drive connected to another machine - you might be able to do this from UBCD4WIN), rename the DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, and SYSTEM files from the \system32\config folder and copy in older versions (from \windows\repair if you're using the Recovery Console, or from the system restore points if you have access to that folder). If you are able to boot then, you can then go into \System Volume Information and choose a better restore point.

If the problem persists after this, then you'll want to use a hard drive repair disc - usually the one from your drive manufacturer is best, but Seagate's SeaTools for DOS will work with most hard drives. Just download the ISO from the website and burn it to a CD. This will attempt its own disc repairs or let you know if the drive might be failing.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing to try (in case important system files are corrupted; but after trying the above steps) would be a repair installation. Boot from an XP SP3 CD (the same kind as your Windows Installation - Pro, Pro Upgrade, Media Center, Home Retail, Home Upgrade, Home OEM) and it should give you the option to repair the current installation. If it does not, go back to the Recovery Console and run the BOOTCFG command to make sure the Windows installation is there. This rarely works well for me, but it will solve the problem of replacing a corrupt system file - at least to getting to the point of being able to boot normally and then running SFC /scannow at a command prompt.

It occurs to me that while you said you ran CHKDSK at the beginning, I always run CHKDSK c: /p twice to make sure that it is not detecting errors. If, when you go into the Recovery Console and get only a c:\> prompt, you need to run CHKDSK once, reboot, then log into your Windows installation, run CHKDSK again, and if it finds errors the second time, run it a third time. If it still finds errors, then you need to back up the data (attach the drive to another computer) and then run the hard drive repair disc.

Thanks
    One more thing to try is running a memory test to make sure you don't bad memory. You can download Windows Memory diagnostic here.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally got frustrated and deleted the partition. Then resized it and restored the image taken after the problem had started. But getting same error. Chkdsk showing 4Kb bad sector. I think it was wrong reporting and I had read that restoring to smaller partition solves the problem. didn't happen in my case. Now I have restored a 2 year old image and it is working fine. Have to update some software and add some more. Data was on another partition and is safe, no problems there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you HD is showing 4K bad sectors you need to replace it. That is a sign of imminent failure.

Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2011-10-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you should listen to Administrator (and 2 star lounger). Before any thing, backup your data onto another disk or onto as many CDs as it takes.
    Paulbyr in NC

New Lounger
    Thanks

spinrite

If you want to recover the hard drive, try running spinrite. It has an incredible ability to recover bad sectors. But you should replace the drive soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemang View Post
    A friend had this problem recently. Apparently there can be many causes. One of the obvious ones is that the CPU cooling system isn't doing its job and the over-temp feature is turning the power off. Turning the power on again will result in a quicker power off. I suggested that he check the CPU fan and dust bunnies in the CPU cooler fins. In his case that was the problem.
    .............Web