3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing problems because of notepad (98 second edition)

There are many times that I go to print a document (in Word, Excel, Access, etc) and it doesn't. the printer icon in the tray tells me that the "status is not available". When I click "CTRL-ALT-DEL" it shows me that "Notepad" is running. I didn't start running it. When I click to close it, the box tells me that it is not responding, and I end the task. At that point the document will then print.

My question is: Why is notepad doing this and how can I make it stop?

Thanks,

Rick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing problems because of notepad (98 second edition)

Something is starting notepad, obviously. Have you checked the file associations to see if you've got something inappropriately set to open with Notepad?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I do that?

Rick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yikes! 98 is several operating systems back for me, but open an explorer window and select View from the menu. There should be an item like Options or Folder Options there somewhere. If you pick that, you'll get a dialog that should have a tab like File Types. You can meander through the items listed and when you select one, it should show you what program that opens with. The other way is to examine the registry, but you have to have an idea of what kind of file is being opened in either case.

Do those documents have anything embedded in them? If so, look for that kind of object first to see what it opens with. There's an insidious little checkbox on the dialog you get when you try to open a file that doesn't have an association set up for it. The checkbox says, in effect, always use this program to open this type of file, and as I recall, it's on by default. You may have opened an unknown file at sometime with Notepad and gotten an association stuck on it.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I think I found the information you mentioned. here is the list of extension and their description that open Notepad:
    _DM : _DM file
    INI : Configuration setting
    SCP : Dial up script
    NAP : NAP
    HH7 : PCanywhere
    HL7 : PCanywhere
    DL9 : PCanywhere
    RH7 : PCanywhere
    RL7 : PCanywhere
    SCRAW : PCanywhere
    INF : Set up information
    TXT DIC EXC : Text doc
    WSC SCT : Windows script

I don't see any clue there as to what may be opening Notepad. PCanywhere is on my computer, but is rarely used. Can you see anything in there?

Rick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The PCAnywhere files are mostly log files, I believe. And the others look pretty normal. I'm not sure what the dial-up script is. I don't have such an animal on my machine so I have nothing to compare.

Does this happen consistently or just once in awhile? If the latter, then all I can suggest is be more careful. If it happens all the time, then I'd check to make sure the EMF file type isn't associated with Notepad somehow.

Have you tried running RegClean on your machine? If you don't have it, you can download it from the Microsoft site. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. Check your printer settings.
    Click Start | Settings | Printers, and highlight the icon of your printer. Little black checkmark must be on this icon, that means it's your default printer. If not, Open File menu and click Set As Default Printer. Open File menu once again and make sure, that Set As Default... is checked. Then click Properties, Ports tab and check LPT1 (I assume it's your local printer) is checked. If it's network printer, check computer name and path on your network is correct. Then click General tab and click Print Test Page button. If test page won't print after a while, click Troubleshoot button and follow the wizard.
    2. Check your print options.
    Open Office application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...); open your document you want to print; click File | Print (or Ctrl + P on keyboard) and choose your printer from dropdown menu, make sure Print to File checkbox is unchecked, and click OK.
    3. If it doesn't help, reinstall your printer.
    From Start | Setings | Printers window delete your printer icon, then double-click Add Printer icon and follow the wizard.