Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7/SP1 Configures at each Reboot

I finally got around to installing SP1 on Win7-Pro, after Susan Bradley
    gave her OK on Patch Watch. Since then with each reboot, following the MS Logo, I am greeted with "Preparing to Configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." This is followed by "Configuring Service Pack 35% complete", etc. Then I eventually get a Login screen.

Q1. Why is this still happening? Did something in the SP1-Install not complete properly? The Install did return a Successful Completion notice.

Q2. After the above SP1-Install, I was immediately offered 12 Important Updates but I chose to pass, pending Ms. Bradley's permission for each. Since then the offer has grown to 17 Important Updates and 1 Optional. Out of curiosity I looked at "Uninstall an update" and after a lengthy scan it reported "No updates are installed on this computer". Perhaps it meant that the list had been cleared by the SP1-Install and I hadn't installed any updates since then. I took the one Optional Update (for a MS Mouse Driver), but a rescan still reports "No updates are installed ...". What gives? It appears that I couldn't uninstall SP1 or anything else if I wanted to.

Thanks
    I would do a couple of things:

First: Check this MS article to see if you are ready for Win 7
    Second: Download the SP1 file from MS to your PC, shut down all apps including your security apps, disconnect from the internet and right click this file to install SP1 with Administrator's Rights.

There have been many problems with SP1 from Windows Updates.

Note: I have installed ALL updates I deem are necessary for my system regardless of the sage advice from Susan. I wish to maintain control myself so I investigate the offered updates to see if I need them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bobkatw (2011-09-28),IreneLinda (2011-10-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What Ted said, except uninstall SP1 first before installing the copy you download from MS.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Control panel>>Programs and Features>>View installed updates...I don't have SP1 installed but it should be in there I would think, unless that's where you were when nothing would show.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course MS doesn't make it easy! Mine just says "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)". If yours doesn't than that 'splains a few things. It could be a failed install. If that is the case, then you really have no choice but to install the downloaded SP1 over what you have.

Did you by chance make an image of your machine before installing SP1?
    Chuck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

bobkatw (2011-09-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: My original SP1-Install was after I checked the MS article. Then I installed SP1 just as you suggested. I also install updates that appear necessary unless Ms. Bradley actually gives reasons not to install.

Doc & Infinicore: I can't uninstall SP1 via usual mechanisms since "Uninstall an update" reports "No updates are installed on this computer".

Doc: Appears to be a failed install but Control Panel\System and Security\System reports that it is SP1, and I did see the Successful Completion notice.
    I did make an image before the Install, but I've been putting up with this behavior for a couple of weeks, so some 'system' files would need to be updated (outlook.pst, bookmarks.html, etc.).

Looks like my current options are (1) to try a second install *over* the existing one, then if necessary (2) restore my image and start over.

Thanks to all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you have an image. Its worth the effort then to try to install SP1 over what's already there. Worst case, you bring the image back down.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More sleuthing has revealed --

C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml is 44.5MB indicating that something is yet to complete 'after reboot'. That explains the boot-time messages I reported in my OP. But looking at the XML shows only tags with no data, that I could find.

Event Viewer shows that since the reboot immediately following my "Successful" Install of SP1, there are 2 Information entries every minute indicating that TrustedInstaller.exe endured an APPCRASH. (CBS.log is 300MB!)

Services.msc shows that Windows Module Installer (i.e. TrustedInstaller) is set at Automatic but never appears to Start.

Do these clues give anyone any more ideas? I suspect I'll end up with some kind of re-install, but would like to make the next one count.

TIA, again.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hope you're still checking this thread! Reading the link re. SP1 I found this:
    Update device drivers as necessary. You can do this by using Windows Update in Control Panel or by going to the device manufacturer's website.

I studiously avoid doing anything with the drivers (following earlier Lounge advice). Can I skip this step? I will check out the Intel driver information. UPDATE: Don't have Intel drivers.

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-10-25 at 16:03.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Ted, hope you're still checking this thread! Reading the link re. SP1 I found this:
    Update device drivers as necessary. You can do this by using Windows Update in Control Panel or by going to the device manufacturer's website.

I studiously avoid doing anything with the drivers (following earlier Lounge advice). Can I skip this step? I will check out the Intel driver information. UPDATE: Don't have Intel drivers.
    You can skip the step. I recommend you make an image backup of your system before beginning the install process. If you have problems you can revert to the image backup and deal with updated drivers.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. Just made an image backup (using the built in one in Windows 7) on PC and will do the same on the laptop. Will then continue, starting with laptop, with fingers crossed! Will post back with any issues, but am not anticipating any!

Linda (and thanks for getting back to me so quickly!)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Another question in re-reading thread: would I be wise/safer to follow the rest of Ted's advice (Second: Download the SP1 file from MS to your PC, shut down all apps including your security apps, disconnect from the internet and right click this file to install SP1 with Administrator's Rights. There have been many problems with SP1 from Windows Updates.)? Until re-reading, I was planning to use Windows Updates, having followed all advice from MS link Ted had included. I generally find it challenging to follow the download instructions from Microsoft - but am willing to try if it is the wiser course of action!

Thanks for any input on this. I'll hold off on the download until I hear back.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Another question in re-reading thread: would I be wise/safer to follow the rest of Ted's advice (Second: Download the SP1 file from MS to your PC, shut down all apps including your security apps, disconnect from the internet and right click this file to install SP1 with Administrator's Rights. There have been many problems with SP1 from Windows Updates.)? Until re-reading, I was planning to use Windows Updates, having followed all advice from MS link Ted had included. I generally find it challenging to follow the download instructions from Microsoft - but am willing to try if it is the wiser course of action!

Thanks for any input on this. I'll hold off on the download until I hear back.

Linda
    I've always had better luck downloading the complete file. It will be very large. Once I have the file downloaded I can apply the service pack to as many PC s as required either over a network or burn it to a DVD.

Joe

Thanks
    Hello again Linda. I do check new posts on old threads. I make it a habit, esp. when doing large updates, to follow the procedure I outlined. When ever you do updates Windows does recommend stopping all apps before applying the update. If I'm going to shut down my security apps, then I disconnect from the internet. On my laptops this is just a matter of changing a switch possition.

For small updates I quite often just do it without shutting down apps. Just lazy I guess. I almost always have a reasonably up to date Image so if something untoward happens I can restore to the Image. This is just cheap insurance for me.

As far as drivers, generally unless I'm having a problem with a particular device i forgo new drivers. This is esp. true of graphics drivers. The adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it" seems appropriate for me.

As far as creating Images, I am happier with the fine 3rd party apps than with the limited feature set available with the Win 7 Imaging app. It may work for some, but I have heard and read moregood results from the 3rd party apps than from Win 7. Read the fine threads in the Security and Backups forum for advice on Imaging.

Sorry it took a while for my response. I have been busy with long hard days at work (Almost 15 hours yesterday and almost 13 hours today)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and Ted, thanks so much for your feedback on this question. You made sense to me and I'm going to follow your direction and download from MS site. Also, I very much appreciate your squeezing in a reply to me (and your usual detailed and carefully explained one to boot!), Ted, when you're so busy with "real" work. Thank you!!

One follow up: if I download SP1 into the PC, how do I apply it to the laptop? You mentioned DVD as one way; can I do it a different way since both computers are part of a MS Home Group? Sorry if this is a dumb question but it's the first time I've been in a network of any kind!

Oops, another one: just checked the MS Download site and realized one reason I'm "challenge" by it. Which is the download I need? I've attached a screenshot of the options. Both computers run Win7, 64 bit, Home Professional.

Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-10-26 at 11:47.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast