Thread: File Open paths

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Open paths

I'm not sure, but I believe this is a Win98 issue..... Whenever I open a file, Windows (or the program) likes to point to My Documents. If the file I am looking for lies on another path and I use the "Up" button, instead of going to C: Windows takes me to the Desktop, and then I have to take the long way back. Is there a way to make Windows follow the actual DOS path from "C:My Documents" to "C:"?

ileacy

Re: File Open paths

Not that I know of. "My Documents" is a special system folder owned by the desktop that just happens to point to "C:My Documents" by default. So, it's parent is Desktop.

Thanks

But (as I learnt in the Lounge at some time) you can change what Windows uses as the default File Open location, and default save location as well, by editing the registry. Go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders

Find the name Personal and set the Data to the folder of your choice. On my PC (in my user profile only) I have set this to C:Ian so things go there by default rather than to My Documents. In fact if I use the My Documents icon on the desktop it takes me to C:Ian instead. Saves a lot of going up and down the directory tree to get to where I want to be. HTH.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi David:

I'm not sure what program you're talking about. In both Windows Explorer & Word (or Excel, etc.), I can go from My Documents to C: in one button. Either the "folder up" button on the toolbar or pressing the backspace button. You can also get there by Start/Run & type "/" (no quotes) <enter>.

Hope this helps.