Thread: Taskbar Icons

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Taskbar Icons

This wasn't possible in previous versions; I'm wondering if it has changed in Windows 7.

Is there a way to change the small icon that show on the Taskbar in the "cell" containing the file or software's name to something other that the default coming from the executable itself?

It's a minor issue ... but I've found I have so many light-blue and yellowish folder-like icons that if they are on my taskbar I have to read the description every time to make sure I click the right one. I don't have this problem with, say, Firefox's orange icon.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you mean items that you've pinned to the Taskbar?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right-click on the icon, open "Properties", click the "Change Icon" button, and, well, change the icon.

Zig

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a reply to both responses.

JoeP517: no, not ones that I've pinned (if I use the workaround to pin a file or folder rather than an executable I can choose any icon I want). I mean ones where I have opened a file, and would use the "cell" on the taskbar for that file need to switch between windows.
    Zig: if I double-click a file rather than an executable, the "cell" created on the taskbar gets its icon fed to it from the executable. So I don't see your suggestion working (unless I'm doing it wrong).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bounder,

I thought you had pinned a shortcut to the taskbar; you're talking about the icon that opens on the taskbar when a program is running, right??

Zig

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Is there a way to control the icon that shows up when a file is shown on the taskbar, with the icon representing the executable that is running that file? <br><br>Some programs can change the text that is shown on the taskbar — MediaMonkey or Windows Live do this — so I'm wondering if I can change that icon.

Thanks
    Click on the start orb, click on all programs, right click on the program whose icon you want to change and click on properties, then the change icon button. Do a google search on "Windows icons" to find a raft of replacement cons that you can download. One such site is http://www.aha-soft.com/iconlibs.htm.

Jerry