New Lounger
    Thanks

Question combo stacked-column & clustered-column

My executive management needs a specific report submitted as a combination stacked-column & clustered-column. So four dimensions of data presented in a column chart format.

We have twelve months.
    We have three categories of data (let's pretend they're bottles of dish detergent, bars of soap and gallons of water (in 100s)) per month. These are my clustered columns.
    And then we have two different time scales: the Mon, Tue, Wed expenses (A) and the Thu, Fri expenses (B).

so:
    chart.bmp

Excel can do clustered columns. Excel can do stacked columns. But I don't think Excel can do both at once. For one thing, I can't even think of how I would enter the raw data (column A is month, row 1 is category, but I still have two dimensions' worth of data to enter - put each dimension in its own sheet?), but even if I did I don't think Excel is capable of presenting it graphically.

So my first question: can anyone think of a way for Excel to do this? It HAS to be a column chart variant. Radar charts, stock charts and other presentation methods have all been rejected.
    And my second: if not, can you think of a third-party product (or an Excel add-in) that can generate unusual charts like this? Obviously I can use Visio or even Photoshop to build it by hand, but I'm looking for something that I can feed data into and get charts like this out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    For all things chart-related, Jon P is a very good place to start. See his blog here for clustered stacked columns.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rory For This Useful Post:

jkhill (2011-09-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Helped a lot! I had a feeling it had something to do with using zero values strategically but I couldn't quite make the leap. Thanks so much.