2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I delete older versions in Add/Remove Programs?

In looking through Add/Remove Programs, I find multiple versions of certain programs, such as J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, for which I show Updates 5, 6, 9, and 10, each of which takes over 100MB. Is it possible to delete all but Update 10 in order to save space, or are they cumulative, with all of them needing to be there in order to keep things working correctly?

I'd love to delete anything I don't need, but I absolutely CANNOT afford any computer downtime to muck about with any computer issues caused by deleting something I need. If in doubt, I will keep possible disk clutter to avoid having any computer issues in the midst of a huge project. I'm running XP Home Version with SP2 on a Dell Dimension 5100.

I have similar questions about other programs, but want to keep each post to a single topic. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Thanks
    You should have no difficulty removing the older versions of the Java. A well written program should do this for you, unfortunately JRE does not
    To be on the completely safe side you can remove all Java, run a system cleaner like CCleaner, boot, then install only the latest version.

If you have no programs that utilize Java then you can rid yourself of it altogether.

Be very carefull of removing MS Netframe, it is far more complicated to determine which version goes with what software and so on.

And probably the best advice is if you are totally unsure of what to remove ensure you have a drive image to fall back on in the event of trouble.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-30 at 04:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

HealingHands33 (2011-09-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Clint,

Many thanks for the sage advice. Someday, when life slows down and I can afford time to fix any screw-ups, I'll try getting rid of the extra Java versions, but for now, much as I'd like to clean up any waste on my hard drive, I'll abide by the old rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." As to MS Netframe, something tells me it would probably best to leave it entirely alone. Still, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Yes, I would leave the .NETframe alone.
    But the JRE is fast & simple to rectify.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, removing and replacing JRE would be easy, but when you're up to your tail in alligators, other things have to come first. Still, I do appreciate the confirmation that it's OK and I'll be sure to do it as soon as life slows down a bit.