Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Page File Question

Hello All,
    Question ... In my screen shot example....if you check "No paging file " ..does this mean that the page file will be moved off disk to to RAM? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-30 at 12:43.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't think so. It means you choose not to have a pagefile.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't think so. It means you choose not to have a pagefile.
    Hi rui,

Reason that I'm asking is that a "Tweak" that is included with jv-16 power tools 2011 says something similar and am not sure as to the difference...see screen shot ... How would windows work without a page file? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Fred, If you read last line of your Power Tools image, all is explained.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred, Roderunner:
    I read the last line of the Power Tools image differently.
    To me it means if you have a page file and you choose to "clear" it, you'll still have one
    when you're done, but it will have been cleared; and thus you'll have eliminated any data that
    might have been on the page file. That's why they say your privacy will have been improved.
    Dick

Thanks
    The JV 6 option forces Windows core files to remain in Ram and never be pagged out to a page file. The page file itself remains on Hard disk and is used for paging program data to and from the page file as needed. The Windows option of no page file means just what it says, no page file exists anywhere and everything is always kept in RAM. Errors will occur if you don't have enough RAM to support all activities.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The JV 6 option forces Windows core files to remain in Ram and never be pagged out to a page file. The page file itself remains on Hard disk and is used for paging program data to and from the page file as needed. The Windows option of no page file means just what it says, no page file exists anywhere and everything is always kept in RAM. Errors will occur if you don't have enough RAM to support all activities.
    Jerry. RR. Dick, rui,

Hello all and thanks for all your input ... Jerry that's how i read it... all to RAM ..Guess I'll have to try it and see .. I'm running 8GB of RAM on my 64 bit OS's....So that should be enough... I'll do a backup and give it a try... This might be of interest to all that have their Paging file questions as to how and where to place it ... If this is the case with moving the "paging file" to RAM it might be a good way to set up your OS. (provided you have enough RAM that is) I'll post back with my results ... so long as i can still boot Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you do get a crash you'll have to note which applications you were running and check them out individually as there are some apps that require a pagefile to exist to run correctly.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Also see the section entitled "How big should I make the paging file?" at Pushing the limits of Windows:Virtual Memory.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you do get a crash you'll have to note which applications you were running and check them out individually as there are some apps that require a pagefile to exist to run correctly.
    Joe,
    Hello... OK, will do ...Just booted up and "Jerry" was correct ...No "paging file" is now present...on the HD.. I have also checked off the jv-16 "Tweaks" ...so far so good ... My Cpu\Ram meter is only showing 19% Memory usage.. I'll run this way and post back.... If indeed the paging file now resides in RAM ...this might be a good way to go ...As Memory is not that expensive.. ( Motherboard dependent on the max you can have..along with OS)...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As I understand, Windows already keeps its core in RAM and only pages stuff when necessary. Memory management has improved a lot in 7, so if Windows pages it should be only when needed.

Anyway, your experience should be quite interesting, Fred. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
    Fred, I second rui. I used to have a custom size page file till I read here & other places, that Win7 managed it OK, and that's how it is now.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Fred, I second rui. I used to have a custom size page file till I read here & other places, that Win7 managed it OK, and that's how it is now.
    Hi RR,
    Me too... Just doing a little experimenting for fun?.. Shows how boring i am ...Thought that it would be an interesting thing to try seeing how "Paging files" (where and how to best place etc.) are a topic of interest. So seems that if you have enough RAM you don't actually need paging files...(so far )... I'll "let er run" for a few and post back with results... My thoughts are the less you have to access a hard drive the better... Soooo...if paging files can reside in RAM (and a RAM high speed setup at that) the better off you'd be...Who knows.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should get over the notion of a paging file in RAM. If you have turned the paging file off there is no paging file. So, if your system ever needs to use any paging file function it will crash.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You should get over the notion of a paging file in RAM. If you have turned the paging file off there is no paging file. So, if your system ever needs to use any paging file function it will crash.

Joe
    Joe,
    Hello... I guess that I'm not using the correct terminology ..(again) But the explanation that was give me from "Crucial" was that the page file on your HD was only accessed when there was not enough room in RAM ...Kinda like an overflow...So Windows then would use the "Virtual Memory" ( Paging Files) My thought then is so if you have enough RAM ...then you don't need the overflow on the HD. Page Files... Hey what do i know? Best..... Fred
    PlainFred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast