Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Locked folders in win explorer and I'm admin ?

My only computer, only one account (Mine) as admin and i've un-checked to view hidden files so I don't understand why I can't open my documents folder?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Doucuments and Settings in Windows 7 and Vista is not a real folder. It is a Junction and is used to allow legacy programs to interface with Windows 7's file system.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Additionally, you need to remember that starting with Vista and continuing with Win7 even though your user account is a member of the administrative group it does not have the same rights and privileges as the builtin Administrator account. This is a change from XP.

Joe

Thanks
    As an aside, using my method explained in Set 7 Free, Documents and Settings becomes a navigable Junction to the Users folder. The individual accounts are still protected (another user's folder cannot be accessed without navigating UAC and entering an Administrators Group password), but one does not get the "Access denied" popup, just an open explorer window with the contents of the Users folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

set up admin account?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Additionally, you need to remember that starting with Vista and continuing with Win7 even though your user account is a member of the administrative group it does not have the same rights and privileges as the builtin Administrator account. This is a change from XP.

Joe
    Then how does one set up and access an administrator account (preferably hidden in normal sign-in screen) in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Thanks
    How To Geek shows you how to enable the hidden Admin Account
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ok;
    I'm in the hidden admin and still have locked folders in Windows explorer??

What now?
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-10-01 at 14:54. Reason: more help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I don't understand as the How to geek doesn't do anything for a fix it seem ??

I installed the win 7 home prem 64bit and Only Has 1 user =Me as admin.
    There is no "fix". The built-in Windows Administrator account is disabled by default. It can be enabled, but that is generally considered by most everyone to be a bad idea. In other words, don't use the built-in Windows Administrator account.

Secondly, the Administrators Group privileges are a bit different in Windows 7 (and Vista, I'm told) in that those accounts do not have unfettered access to all parts of the OS. Some things have to be right-clicked and "Run as administrator" selected, even if you are logged on as a member of the Administrators Group; even if there is only one user, and that user is a member of the Administrators Group; makes no difference.

As for the OP, "Documents and Settings" in a standard installation is a Junction Point, not a folder; it contains nothing, no files, no subfolders, nothing. It is a part of NTFS that allows a read/write request to be redirected to another folder or even a folder on another drive. The reason you get the "Access denied" popup is that there is nothing to access in a standard installation; a Junction Point is emptier than empty. "Documents and Settings" has been replaced by "Users" in Windows 7, and the Documents and Settings is only a Junction Point that redirects read/write requests from the OS to Users.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @bbearren
    Geez, guess my win7 install is a dang mess. I've saved many things into the wrong pictures folder I guess and can't get to them.
    I have XP Pro on the other HD and I think I'm going back using it even though XP isn't going to see my 8 gigs RAM.

I guess these few months of installing/using has been for nought.

"O"well........... You have been frank about this Win7 'users' thing, Thanks!!
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-10-01 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Ok;
    I'm in the hidden admin and still have locked folders in Windows explorer??

What now?
    The hidden Administrator account is still a member of the Administrators Group. Generally speaking, the same rules apply. I would suggest that you set a password for that account, one that you can easily remember, write that password down somewhere where you won't lose it or forget where it is, and then disable the account.

Run using the account you created when you installed Windows 7, and learn how UAC works. In your image, the "12345" folder is a system folder, and the UpdatusUser folder is a system folder. System folders are best left alone.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @bbearren
    Geez, guess my win7 install is a dang mess. I've saved many things into the wrong pictures folder I guess and can't get to them.
    I have XP Pro on the other HD and I think I'm going back using it even though XP isn't going to see my 8 gigs RAM.

"O"well........... You have been frank about this Win7 'users' thing, Thanks!!
    Have you looked in your "Libraries > Pictures" folder?

Your Windows 7 install sounds like it's working as it should; you just need to spend some time with it to get more accustomed to the differences between Windows 7 and Windows XP. It's really not as steep a learning curve as it seems.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-10-01 at 15:16. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yep, just checked the lib/pics folder and the only thing there is this image I just made and a 'desktop.ini' file.

Thanks
    If you were using a Photo app and if you did not "Save as" when you saved the files/pictures, they may well be in a subfolder of that app in Program Files or Program Files (86). Have you looked there?

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

doesn't work for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    How To Geek shows you how to enable the hidden Admin Account
    The Geek approach did not work for me. Do I need to be running a higher version of Win 7 than Home Premium? After a lot of work, I was able to get the Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator". However, the prompt came up as "c:\Windows\system32\" and it would not accept the suggested command "net user administrator /active=yes"; the entire command was declared invalid and a complex suggested format was requested.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    The Geek approach did not work for me. Do I need to be running a higher version of Win 7 than Home Premium? After a lot of work, I was able to get the Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator". However, the prompt came up as "c:\Windows\system32\" and it would not accept the suggested command "net user administrator /active=yes"; the entire command was declared invalid and a complex suggested format was requested.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Try following the complex suggested format. However, there is no need to enable the Windows Administrator account, and I haven't heard or read of any advice that suggested using it routinely.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast