Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to set up virtual box and 2nd OS Linux Mint?

Hello ~ All,
    I have VB installed and running Ubuntu 10.10 - works great. NOW, I want to install mint distro as a 2nd OS...
    Can't figure out how its done.!! Clicking NEW this the response:

Cannot create the machine folder mint in the parent folder C:/Users/user only me/VirtualBox VMs. Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder.

I don't know what that means? I've found nothing on the various forums for explanations?
    However, I see on those sites many OS's installed in VB on its left tree!! HOW to do it??

My system: win7 -64 / 8gigs ram
    Thanks for help/suggestions.
    John in Dallas

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You are doing the right thing in VB: I have 7 virtual machines for various tinkering and work use, all built and accessible from VirtualBox running on Win7 SP1 x64 - So I suspect it's not a VirtualBox issue, but perhaps a system configuration problem.

The message you quote says C:/Users/Username/VitualBox VMs. That appears to be the xml path to your VM's. Is that folder accessible through explorer? I wonder about the spaces in the path - because I'm not sure that xml likes spaces without being enclosed in quotes. Check the VirtualBox.xml file normally located at C:\User\Username\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml. Be careful to take a backup of this file before opening it: accidental changes could hose your VM's.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to File | Preferences, and on the General tab check the value of Default Machine Folder. Make sure that the folder identified there exists on your PC and that you have read/write access to that folder. If you don't have the folder, switch to another folder.

Also, if you don't have the folder, search for *.vbox, that should help you locate folder that has your virtual machines - the virtual machines will be in subfolders of the machines folder. For example, I have multiple drives on my PC and redirected this folder to F:\VirtualBox\machines. My virtual machines are at "F:/VirtualBox/machines/Ubuntu 11.04/Ubuntu 11.04.vdi", "F:/VirtualBox/machines/Windows 8/Windows 8.vdi" , etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello-Guys,
    Appreciate your responses. I've checked out all your suggestions, and everything is OK ! All my settings are OK in VB and Ubuntu 10.10 runs great....
    NOW-what I've done. I went into admin mode (which I never use--only work in standard mode) I had VB installed but never used it...So, I installed linux mint 11 and it work just fine???? Why?? As they say - Ubuntu done right..
    This is defeating the very purpose of VB...Taking up space when....I should be able to install a variety of OS's as all the screen shots show...
    I can't find any explanation of VB's site or ubuntu and mint sites that address this situation. VB simply said ((( read the manual ))) How rude!!!!!
    Is there some module or setting I haven't found that will allow me to install multiple OS's ???
    Thanks for suggestions.
    John in Dallas.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what is happening.

Can you provide a screen shot of the error that you get. Maybe also a screen shot of that folder in Windows Explorer too? Might help figure out what VB is encountering that will make it through the error.

My VB installation is as plain vanilla: except for moving my vdi files to another drive everything is out of the box so to speak.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hope this screen shots helps? Not very good at these.
    Thanks for your help.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The images are mangled.

Did you insert the image using the insert image button from the Go Advanced reply?

insert image.JPG

Star Lounger
    Thanks

request from tinto tech for screen shots