Thanks

Need help with Mac to TV hookup (SOLVED!)

I have a 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo, and I'm trying to hook it up to my older analog tube TV. The TV only has S-Video, coaxial, and composite (Red Yellow White) hookups. I've purchased the recommended VGA to RCA or S-video cable by Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A?mco=4BB568D3

But now I've run into a snag. When I first attached the adapter to the Mini, and then to the TV via S-Video, the picture was all right. But after I tried to change the resolution, the TV started flickering and the picture changed to black and white. The screen essentially became unreadable, and I haven't been able to find a solution.

I restarted the Mac, I've tried a different S-Video cable, and I've ensured that the TV was on the "Video 1" output, which is what the TV uses. I also tried using the yellow composite video instead, with the same results. Regardless of which video input I use, the TV is a mess.

Is there a way that I can change the Mac Display Preferences from PAL to NTSC? I'm thinking that could be the possible cause of the problem, so if I could change the signal protocol, maybe that would work. I just don't think it's a bad adapter, because it is brand new, and I have found other instances, in both this forum and others, of this precise adapter displaying these symptoms. Should I try a VGA adapter instead, or is there another solution?
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-10-02 at 01:32. Reason: Thread is solved, no need to clutter the forum.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Great news! I found the solution to my problem! After following the advice in this Apple Support Discussion, I was back in business! Basically I booted into Safe Mode, deleted my display configuration, and rebooted. Once I had started up again, I found that the Mac had reset its display preferences for the TV, so when I attached it again, it was just like before I had fiddled with the resolution! I've learned my lesson: don't go higher than 800x600, and the S-video adapter will work.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Glad to see you resolved your TV problem, and thanks for posting the solution.