New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with SSL/TLS "Fix" to IE8 on Win7

Regarding the 9/29/2011 Windows Secret suggestion to enhance security by disabling TLS 1.0 and turning on TLS 1.1 and 1.2, doing so causes other problems. I followed the instructions, restarted IE, then logged onto my banking site. Everything worked, but I noticed the hard drive was churning a lot while I was logged in. After logging out, I checked Event Viewer and found over a dozen Schannel errors in the 'System' log. Here are the specifics:
    Event = 36888
    Task Category = None
    Fatal Alert = 70
    Internal Error State = 105
    All of the errors coincided with the timeframe that I was logged in. I reverted to the original settings, cleared the System log, and then revisited my banking site... repeatring the previous navigation and transactions. After logging off and rechecking the log, it's clean as a whistle. This scenario is repeatable. I think I'll keep my original settings for now.

Anyone else experience this? Is it maybe limited to my particular combination (IE8 and Win7 HP)?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is very difficult to say whether this is limited to your combination or not. Have you tried to find out if your banking site requires certain security settings?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've read the online FAQ. It's Wells Fargo... nothing special for settings, though they no longer support IE6.

Thanks
    I've applied the SSL/TSL fix to IE 9 and haven't experienced any issues with web sites including banks and credit card sites.

Jerry