2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changes in Directory in Windows 7 64 bit

Recently although my "My Document" is still visible, another directory showed up called "Documents." I sent to it and nothing is there other than two subdirectories. One contains nothing. The other, "My Streaming Media" has movies I download from YouTube. I transferred them to the same directory under "My Documents." Then I deleted this Documents directory with its two subdirectories. However, now when I save a Word Perfect file, it shows it is going in the following: C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Team National\document name. It should have "My Documents" where "Team National" is. Team National is a subdirectory in "My Documents." I'm not sure what I need to do to get "My Documents" back where it should be. Any ideas?

Thanks
    When you do a Save As you have to point to the exact location you wish the document saved to. The "My Documents" location for the real folder is in C:\Users\"User Name"\My Documents then whatever the folder name you create to hold the particular documents you wish to save. This is the default location. I would think at some point you told Win 7 to Save As the name where the files are saved. Now it is using that location all the time.

After you change the path to the correct folder when you do the Save As, it should then default to that location.

SaveAsLocation.jpg

Hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changes in Directory in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Ted,
    When I Save As, it shows that I am in My Documents and saving to My Documents. However, when I first open Word Perfect, it does not open up in My Documents. I have to find My Documents, click on it, then I can load my file. I have gone into WPX4 to make sure I have selected My Documents as the place where all files are to be saved and it shows My Documents. I am attaching what I see after I bring up a document into WPX4. I then tried saving it by putting in: C:\Users\Ray Hawk\My Documents\article title. You will notice the small menu telling I can't do that. No access!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect this beahviour is as a result of the way in which Win7 handles the "My Documents" folder and your deletion of the "Documents" folder. "My Documents" is not a folder, it is a Junction to C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents. Notice the slight difference to Ted's comment.

Now, the trouble is that you deleted the real "Documents" folder. So, if you are telling WordPerfect to store in "My Documents", it won't be able to: because the folder does not exist - it's a "virtual folder" that points to \Documents that you deleted. The Junction "My Documents" virtual folder fails to link to C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents and generates the error in WordPerfect.

To be clear, the folder C:\Users\Ray Hawk\My Documents is not the same as the "My Documents" virtual folder which was actually C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents.

You might try to create a new "Documents" folder in C:\Users\Ray Hawk\, but I'm not sure the Junction "My Documents" would link to it correctly. You may additionally have to map the virtual "My Documents" folder to the new real "\Documents" by doing the following: drill down to the Virtual "My Documents" folder in Windows Explorer (Computer>C: Drive>Users>Ray Hawk). Locate the virtual "My Documents" folder in there, right click on it, choose Properties and then Location. Change the target to your newly created C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents and see if that works.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-10-02 at 12:29. Reason: To extra detail on mapping "My Documents" to \Documents

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I created a subdirectory, "Documents" under Ray Hawk. It shows up as well as "My Documents." However, before I deleting it, there wasn't anything in it. There was a subdirectory under it where Replay Media Catcher4 stored movie clips which I saved. All my documents files were found in "My Documents." All this took place when I upgraded the program Replay Media Catcher 4. Prior to that upgrade, the program stored all my movie clips into \My Documents\My Streaming Media\. After I installed it, the first time I saved a movie clip, it apparently created \Documents\My Streaming Media\ and put everything there. I wrote to them, but they had never heard of this happening with anyone. I went to the Registry and found . . .Ray Hawk\Team National\my document files listed in about 40 places. If I save the Registry, then go to each of these lines and change it to C:\Users\Ray Hawk\My Documents\ from C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Team National\ how do I do that? Write a new string?? I'm hoping that will solve the problem, but am not sure about which selection I should use in each occurrence to make the change. So, here I am with my hat in hand, seeking advise.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would not edit the registry. You may have missed some and to hand edit 40 or more entries....well, something is almost bound to go wrong.

I would look for the root cause and fix it.

To help clarify can you drill into your "My Documents" folder using Windows Explorer, then left click in the address bar at the top of Explorer and tell us what it says. If it is indeed the real \Documents folder the Explorer address bar should change from something like Computer>Windows 7>Users>Ray Hawk>My Documents to C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents. Note how "My Documents" changes to Documents in the address bar (this is the Junction that should have previously existed) and will tell us if it is still intact or not.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened Window's Explorer and it shows Libraries - Documents - My Documents. However in the file manager I use, xplorer2, WPX4, and Replay Media Catcher4, it shows My Documents as Team National.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Remember that "My Documents" is not normally a real folder it is normally a virtual folder that points to (or should point to) \Users\Documents. So, given that you suggest \Users\Documents has been deleted, it's not clear to me what xplorer2 would interpret My Documents as - would it be some new folder with the same name, or would it be something else? - I can't be sure.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to Computer > {your Drive C:} > Users > Ray Hawk and double click on the folder marked "My Documents". Then left click in the address bar of Explorer. It should give you the full path to that folder, which will help determine if you are looking at \Documents or some other newly created folder.

Just to explain a little here: I'm trying to understand if the folder you refer to is "C:\Users\Ray Hawk\My Documents" (which would be a user-generated folder), or if it is "C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents" (which is what the virtual "My Documents" folder would have originally pointed to). Armed with that info it may be possible to force Word Perfect to access and store your data in your preferred location with folder names that are consistent.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-10-02 at 16:47.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I finally brought up Windows Explorer and clicked in the right place. Before I clicked, here is what was showing: Library - Documents - My Documents. When I clicked to the left of that (I had been clicking on the wording), the attachment is what showed up. The expression "Team National" had replaced "My Documents." If "My Documents" is a virtual directory, how do I get back into it to change it from Team National to My Documents???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, that's good.

What your image shows is the the folder C:\User\Ray Hawk\Team National is now "mapped" to you "My Documents" folder. Remember that "My Documents" is not a real folder - in this case it has been altered to point from c:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents to C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Team National, probably as a result of the deletion of the \Documents folder.

To make an analogy the virtual "My Documents" folder is a sticky label that has been stuck on the outside of a filing cabinet that contains the Team National folder: when you are looking around for something called My Documents, you see the filing cabinet with its sticker and open the cabinet. What you find inside is Team National rather than something called My Documents.

The fix is to move the sticky label to another filing cabinet which contains the real folder that you want to label as My Documents.

Hopefully you followed that analogy!

So, you need to determine what you want that folder to be called. I might suggest calling it Documents - if only because that is the normal folder. In Explorer, right click in the C:\Users\Ray Hawk\ folder (not the ..\Team National folder) and create a new folder called Documents (or whatever you want to be called).

Now, in Explorer, open your Documents library and left click on "My Documents" to bring up its context menu. Next, select Properties and chose the Location tab. Click Move, which will open a new Explorer window - drill to the newly created C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents (or whatever you called it) and click Select Folder followed by OK in the Location tab. This will adjust the virtual "My Documents" folder to point away from C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Team National to you new C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents folder.

To re-use the earlier analogy, you have moved the "My Documents" label off the cabinet that contained "Team National" on placed it on the cabinet that contains "Documents".

Having done that, place a new test file in that folder, then open the "My Documents" folder in Explorer as you would normally do to verify that it has picked up the new mapping.

Finally, you need to point WordPerfect to save in the new "My Documents" virtual folder. In WordPerfect, Select Save As and point to your new C:\Users\Ray Hawk\Documents. Anything saved in there will appear as if it is saved in the "My Documents" folder because, if you recall, "My Documents" is just a pointer or label to the real \Documents folder.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That did it! Thanks a million!