Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Antivirus thoughts before I renew license

I am currently running ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 and have been for almost a year now. FireFox 7 as my primary browser. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. In general I am not a web surfer. I have three or four specific outdoor interest (mineral specimen collecting etc and that is for the most part about all I look at on the web other than some freeware programs that I get from Gizmos Freeware Review. I am careful about what e-mail I open and do not go to links in e-mails. I keep my programs updated and apply windows patches. Once a week I also run a scan with Malwarebytes. I have also just started checking URL's with on-line VirusTotal.

So far I have had no infection problems in almost the year I have had this machine.

So my question is AM I PROTECTED ENOUGH?? The reason I ask is because my ESET expires in November and I do not want to be lulled into a false sense of security just because I have had no problems so far. Should I just upgrade to the new ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and carry on, or is there something out there better for me to be secure.

Thank you fine folks for any input you may have on this issue.

Glenn

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Check out the free Microsoft Security Essentials. I use it on all my home PCs.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

AuAgHunter (2011-10-01)

Thanks
    This same thought process has been repeated a couple of times in these forums. In Win 7 I have been using MSE since it first came out. Very low resource user for what I feel is great protection. You will get many different opinions on this so be ready. Best of all it's "FREE".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I too have used MSE since it first came out on some machines without any infections. I have used Avast Antivirus Free Edition on other machines for over four years now with no infections as well. I recommend either one.

Safe user practices are the most important factor in malware security, and from what you posted, you are good to go in that area.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ditto what Joe & Ted said. I've been using MSE since it came out on our 4 machines including the two laptops we take with us in our motorhome and constantly connect through wi-fi hotspots. No problems at all!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post

Thank you fine folks for any input you may have on this issue.
    Glenn,
    Hello.... You will find that there are many answers to your question ... the answer depends on what your comfortable with....
    I use Malwarebytes PRO, and now Norton Internet Security 2012.... with nothing else on XP-Pro, Vista and "7"... With Norton You can choose everything, and set it up the way you want.... most don't want the job, and will let their security run pretty much on "auto pilot" The same applies to Malwarebytes PRO .. These are both pay for programs...I stay away from all the "goofy" freebies..."Dino protect all " etc. or some such twaddle... Think that they are not worth the time.... I for the most part believe that you get what you "Pay For".... and software is no exception.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    MSE for me here too, no major infections or client issues.
    Light weight, minimally intrusive, and is not taxing on resources, yet potent enough to be a contender.

MSE is something MS has actually gotten right.

mart44
    I don't know if you'd like to look at reports as well but this table includes MSE, ESET and others:

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test...s/julaug-2011/

(Click the small arrows to the right of the table for more details of the products)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Hi Glenn : NOD32 has been an excellent security program for many years . However, I have been using the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition since June 2005 and would NEVER put Microsoft Security Essentials on a computer of mine because of their very poor Online Support Forums . For Results of testing done on security programs, see the various ones done by the Independent Researchers at www.av-comparatives.org . Their "Whole Product Dynamic Test" is considered the most reliable ( Last I heard MSE declined to participate in this one !? ) .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

which antivirus

nod32 simply doesnt do the job anymore malwarebytes pro would be our best bet, Avast even the free version is very very good, the paid version even better,

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Another one for MSE here. Free for business use up to 10 users, if that makes a difference.

I also have used Avast, PC Tools, AVG, Eset, McAfee, Norton, Sophos, Trend and others, but MSE wins for me for its clean interface, not trying to sell me anything and because it's free for business use (yes, I'm tight).

My surfing habits are in general quite safe and other factors also protect my systems. If I need to venture into grey or murky areas for work, I fire up a Virtual Machine and use Linux.

By the way, Avast recently hosed a client's machine after a faulty update. For the sake of balance, the same has occured on MSE, PC Tools, McAfee and AVG to my first hand knowledge.

*Disclosure Statement*
    For the avoidance of doubt in case anyone thinks the above recommendation is double standards: I sell subscription solutions if my clients wish to purchase.

However, if safe surfing is exhibited and the client profile is appropriate, I would never recommend a paid service over a free one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All

How does Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 measure up against the others?

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    Please add another vote to the MSE column. I've been using it on a desktop and three laptops for two years with no problems. One of the laptops is utilized frequently in hotels on business trips. I also second Deadeye's noting of your excellent browsing practices; that may be why your current antivirus app has performed so admirably!

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

15. The Following User Says Thank You to johjue For This Useful Post:

tomdham (2011-10-13)

Thanks
    Kaspersky and ESET have one major deficiency. They are hybrid applications, not fully native 64-bit applications. Normally this would not make any difference, but for security programs, you take a performance hit, and not just in speed. Native 64-bit programs under Windows 7 have direct access to the System Kernel and are not hampered by Patch Guard, among other things. Hybrid security programs do not necessarily have such complete access. Again, this is not to say they are less effective at protecting you. But there are free programs which are Native 64-bit, and here are some of them:

Super Antispyware, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast and Comodo (firewall is good -- skip their antivirus).

Malwarebytes is a hybrid, as is Zone Alarm. Don't know about AVG, but last I read, they were still hybrid.

My point is, when it comes to my security, why take chances when there are totally native 64-bit programs, many of them free, which will protect me for sure. Especially when used together.

Personally, for 64-bit Windows 7 (Home Premium) I use MSE and do second-opinion scans with Super Antispyware Free. No additional firewall, beyond the one included in Windows 7. You might also want to enable any security features inside your router.

No need to make security complicated or expensive. Keep it simple, I say. And no sign of infections yet.

Another security measure is to keep all software up to date, including Flash Player and any Java Runtimes on your computer(s). I use Secunia PSI for most of that.

Any antivirus or firewall can mess up a computer with a bad update or an incompatible upgrade. I dropped Avast 6 when its early builds kept marking the Windows Recycling Bin and Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) as malicious. Nope, Explorer was not being impersonated. So I went with MSE instead. This is on a Windows XP laptop.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-10-13 at 05:03.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another Vote for MSE!!

Quote Originally Posted by johjue View Post
    Please add another vote to the MSE column. I've been using it on a desktop and three laptops for two years with no problems. One of the laptops is utilized frequently in hotels on business trips. I also second Deadeye's noting of your excellent browsing practices; that may be why your current antivirus app has performed so admirably!

John
    I'm with John on this one.....

I can highly recommend MSE. I also use it on one desktop and three laptops. As some one else already stated MS got this one RIGHT!!
    And for FREE no less!
    I install it on all my friends' new machines and get rid of the shipped Norton, Avast, etc. "free until you pay" AV.

73's,
    Tom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast