Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Email some specific report pages to separate people

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and I have this same issue.
    Please has this issue been solved: sending different parts of a report to different email addresses?
    e.g. Is it possible to send only part of a report relating to Mr A to his email address and only part of the report relating to Mr B to his email address etc?

New Lounger
    Thanks

How can I get the code from you for emailing report pages to sparate people?

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Mike,

I did this recently for our homeowners association, with a little help from the experts right here. I had Access write the filtered report pages to a PDF file using PDFCreator (free), then created the email via VBA code {office automation as mentioned eariler}, and topped it off with an outlook macro to send all the files in the Drafts folder (this allows you to double check before sending if you choose, or add comments to a specific client's email). If you want I'll be glad to post the code.
    I'm volunteer at a church, running Access for Auction and other activities for billing of purchases/enrollments, and I'd really like to email the invoices. I currently have a report with all the invoices (grouped on buyers, which also contain 2 sub reports). I reviewed the FMS tool, but that's some real $$, and then I saw you remarks about how easy it was.

I've got a VB script sending a test email from Access 2013, but sure would like to find another script for leverage and reference.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have some code I could review and possibly leverage? Could you recommend some examples or tutorials?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Because this is such a complex subject, with many alternatives, a few questions are in order:
    1) Are you proficient in VBA?
    2) Do you understand the Access object model?
    3) Do you have any experience with Automation?
    If your answer to any of these is no, then you face a daunting learning experience, and you might want to consider hiring a consultant.

That said, there are a couple of basic approaches. One is to use a Word document for your invoice and use a mail-merge to email using Automation. The other is to create a report that can have a filter applied so that each invoice can be generated as a separate PDF file, and then use Automation of Outlook to do the actual emailing. If you want to explore the mail-merge approach, the tutorial Mail Merges With Access. An overview of the Automation approach is available at Automation 101.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davida_vsn View Post
    Please has this issue been solved: sending different parts of a report to different email addresses?
    e.g. Is it possible to send only part of a report relating to Mr A to his email address and only part of the report relating to Mr B to his email address etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    there are a couple of basic approaches
    My thread is a zombie!

Yes, this is indeed possible thru various means, as Wendell said.

My general info handling approach is to use Access for robust data checking and storage, and to use Excel for all reporting and further manipulation--Excel pulls info from Access via Access queries. Excel is considerably easier than Access to learn and use imo, that's why I do the bulk of the work in it--incl all cleaning and prepping of data before it goes into Access.

For your situation, I would write a query in Access to extract the data you need. Then I would pull the data into Excel from the query, and create a pivot table report in Excel. This means you can get a new report whenever the DB's been updated simply by clicking Refresh in the Excel sheet--very handy.

In the pivot table, you pull the Name field [where the individual names you want to send to are, Mr A, Mr B etc] into the Filter part of the pivot [ie not the Rows, Columns or Data parts]. This allows you to click on the Filter dropdown and select any of the names to view that individual's data.

More importantly, it allows you to use an obscure, but essential, Excel 'trick', which is to auto-generate a separate spreadsheet for each individual. Click in the pivot, which causes a 'PivotTable Tools' tab to appear in the ribbon. Click on Analyze, and at extreme left click the Options dropdown. "Show Report Filter Pages" is what you want.

These sheets are then used with Outlook to send each individual their own email--you need 2 extra sheets, one with a list of names [matching the sheets' names] and email addresses, and the other with the email subject line and intro body content.

I can't post my code, as it belongs to another. Here are links which should help:

Ron de Bruin Excel Automation
    Ron did a job for me last decade, writes lovely code. That page has maybe 20 variations on the theme, afaik all using Outlook for the email send.

How To Send Emails From An Excel Spreadsheet Using VBA Scripts
    Coders might like this one, looks a neat approach to my layman's eye, uses plain SMTP to send the mail, and can collect content from multiple sheets to go into the body of the email.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2016-07-01 at 18:53. Reason: add 'trick' detail
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Office 2016 (via Office 365 Personal) x32

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600; Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123