New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista Ultimate defender

I've had Vista Ultimate on an HP m9100t 32bit Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700@ 2.66GHz 4 Gigs of ram Service Pack 2 for about 6 years. This machine runs like a champ stays on 24/7 and I can count the number of glitches over the years on a few fingers. Is it just me or is there a whole lot of unnecessary complaining about this operating system that I don't see. I have two laptops with Win7 and really don't see the big deal(Wow window Snapping I use AeroSnap). I just think Vista has gotten a really bad rap. Seems everyone wants to compare it to Win <em>ME</em> which was more like Win Mistake Edition. To me Vista Ultimate is a really advanced early version of Win 7. I'll probably continue to use VU until windows quits supporting it. Some of you who still have Vista by default should at least go find an upgrade to Ultimate which you can get for $39~$49.Guess I'm just a Vista Defender. !;~))
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-10-02 at 15:01. Reason: Inapproriate Language

Thanks
    Windows Vista got its poor reputation when it was released with loads of problems that needed a lot of attention to correct. Also, most of the PC manufacturers were poorly prepared with appropriate drivers for the OS. Unfortunately, the majority of the early adopters of Windows Vista suffered a lot of heartburn in getting hardware and software to work very well together. Vista never really recovered from its early reputation.

I waited until Service Pack 1 was released and installed on major brand PCs before buying a Vista equipped laptop. After SP 1 was integrated into Vista, Vista was for the most part a very stable OS, at least in my experience. I purchased a Dell Inspiron i1318 and never experienced any of the nightmares I had read about when Vista was first released. The only noticeable negative I observed was a longer boot time than typically seen in Windows XP. I still have the Vista equipped Dell, applied SP2 when it became available, and it still runs very well. I cannot recall one single instance of the BSOD. Microsoft realized Vista would never overcome its initial impression on users and did not waste any time in releasing Windows 7. I do not use it all that much now, as I prefer to use Windows 7.

XP also had its problems when it was first released, but rather than quickly coming out with an entirely new OS, MS released SP1 and SP2 to fix the majority of the problems. SP2 so changed XP that it was virtually a new OS. It was too much of an uphill battle for problem plagued Vista to compete with a mature and stable Windows XP that was so entrenched in mainstream PC usage.

That's my take on Vista. It eventually became a pretty good OS, but initially suffered from a very poor introduction into the PC market place.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista defender

Another reason why Vista received bad publicity due to the manufacturers who produced under specced PCs. An acquaintance of mine bought a Toshiba notebook which had only 512MB of ram and Vista ran like a dog. I upgraded the ram for her and that made a big difference. What I can't understand is the way so many PC journalists and "experts" jumped on the knock Vista bandwagon. There is obviously a lack of impartiality both on the web and in the press. I now trust the opinions of less than a handful of journalists.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystofa View Post
    What I can't understand is the way so many PC journalists and "experts" jumped on the knock Vista bandwagon.
    Because they're the same ones who knock Ribbons in Office etc, luddites who can't tolerate change; if they had their way we'd all be using cp/m on Z80s.

To appreciate anything new you have to invest time & effort to understand the underlying objective intent of what's in front of you. IT Journalists don't have the time because they have to get to the next free lunch or cocktail party.They barely have the inclination to make effort to get out of bed in the morning; so they grab an unpaid bloggers scratchings, throw in a few "Zeitgeist"'s and "segue"'s or segway's and shove it onto a website and wait for their loot.