New Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall of Windows XP

I am preparing for a "worst case" scenario, and have some pertinant questions not heretofore asked.
    Windows XP may have reached the end of it's lifecycle, as Microsoft claims, but I have several computers that don't know they are dead. I LIKE Windows XP, and also don't have the money to buy four copies of of a newer version of Windows.

I am downloading all the Microsoft updates that Everest reports are on my computer.

Some of the KB numbers are "Not Found" at Windows Update Catalog. Does this mean that that particular update is no longer required, or that it has been supersceeded?

Some of the updates that are not found at Windows Update Catalog are available by special request from Microsoft. Should those updates be installed even though Microsoft is guarding them from casual searches? One such is KB954550.

Will I need to install a WGA to install any of the updates from files I downloaded? If so, where do I get the proper WGA installer for Windows XP Home? It will do no good to have all these installer files if I can only get a WGA from the Microsoft site, and they abandon XP as they say they are going to.

When and if I need to rebuild Windows XP Home, is it necessary to instal updates in the chronological order in which they were released?

Incidentally, I have tried to make a slipstream disk to install Windows XP with all the current updates - with disasterous results. I guess I just don't understand all the instructions, and only manage to waste my time and a DVD.

Thanks guys and gals.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTime View Post
    I am preparing for a "worst case" scenario

I am downloading all the Microsoft updates that Everest reports are on my computer.

Will I need to install a WGA to install any of the updates from files I downloaded?

When and if I need to rebuild Windows XP Home, is it necessary to instal updates in the chronological order in which they were released?
    "Unc"
    Hello... I'm not the best one to answer this ( just installed XP-Pro SP-3 a month or so ago) ...But have to ask a few questions...

1.When you say worst case scenario... are you talking about HD crashes ..or Virus trashing your OS.. etc.. There are many free Imaging programs available ...if this is what you mean.

2.. How have you managed not to have WGA installed ...if you have downloading MS updates?

3. Yes you have to install the "Updates " in the order that they are presented . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Unc,

Have you not read the 'internet' on all the horror stories about Windows updates corrupting peoples computers?

So as for getting any more updates from MS, that you might actually need, I'd have to say "Forgetaboutit!".

Now as for WGA, that's a snake pit! Your MS Updater will download that automatically if you don't already have it,
    when you go to get updates. It's not perfect though, and has told many a user that they have a Bogus version of
    Windows and will lock them out of getting any updates till they buy a legal license for the OS.

I'm told that many people have actually fallen for this "SCAM" and ponied up the price of a new license.

This is my own personal solution to this whole sickening problem...... Turn off Auto Updates, forget about them
    and just enjoy your computer with XP on it, like I and thousands of other users are doing.

Edited, to conform to Forum Rules:

Oh, and finally, NEVER use I.E. (anything). Use only a third party browser like Firefox, which is so much safer than I.E.

Contrary, to the Win-7 fans, Windows XP will still be running happily on thousands of PC's, worldwide, decades from now.

As for that worse case scenario, just clean up your HD and then make a backup of it, to an external HD or to DVD's. Make sure that your Backup program is NOT solely on your HD, but is located on a bootable media of some sort. I've used Ghost backup for years and it's NEVER been on my hard drive, but always on a floppy disk, CD or Flash Drive.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-10-02 at 17:49.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I wouldn't give up on slipstreaming so easily. There are many alternative variations in creating a slipstreamed disk. Find one that works for you.
    Just ensure the disk you have is capable of being slipstreamed, some OEMs will not.

Your next best practice will be similar to Dr Who's suggestion of an image who's restorative software is located on a bootable disk and not
    the HDD the os resides on. Start preparing now, read this for tips on overal setup and maintenance.

If your talking about doing a reinstall, yes, all updates are still available from Microsoft.
    I highly recommend that you start creating a slipstreamed Windows XP disk now.

GOOGLE: Slipstreaming Windows XP

As for all of the service packs, they are here:

Windows XP Service Pack 1a Express Install (32-Bit) for End Users

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

(Download them all and burn them securely to disk).

__________________________________________________ ______________________
    Service Pack Center

Automatically Slipstream Windows XP with SP3 and All Post-SP3 Security Hotfixes with a Single Command

Microsoft Security Bulletins

I highly recommend getting your hands on a genuine XP Pro, SP 3 disk through whatever means ethically possible.
    It will make the effort just a little bit less burdensome.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-02 at 20:34.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied so promptly.

You have provided me with most of the answers, but this remains;

Will I need to install WGA before I can install the updates? And, if so, how can I get a WGA installer?

I have not skirted installing WGA on my current system. However, if I am re-installing Windows XP and the SP's and updates, I will not have the WGA installed - unless I install it.

Looking at the code for slipstreaming (linked above), I think I see that the updates are downloaded from the Microsoft site, then installed. I am going to give an analogy of why that is not the solution I am looking for. If my car has stopped because it is out of gas, the solution is not to drive it to the service station and fill the tank.

If you look around the Microsoft Update Catalog site, you will notice there are no updates for Windows 3.1, Windows 95, or Windows 98. At some time in the future, Microsoft will eliminate updates for Windows XP. What I am attempting is, collecting all the updates i need before that happens. It will make no difference what browser I use, or whether I have the Pro or Home version of Windows XP. Once the updates are gone, I am out in the cold without a blanket.

So my burning question is, Do I need to have an installer file for WGA, and if so, where can I get it?

Oh, and I do Ghost - using version 2003 from DOS. It is my primary protection from loss.

Thanks again.

Thanks again

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think MS is going to have to release the WGA requirement if support ends...its like you'll be on your own, but if they hamper hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of systems, especially business systems from function, it won't be pretty. At the very least they'll have to leave a few verification servers running so WGA will be allowed. I'm sure they'd love it if we all just up and quit using XP by the end of support but that's not going to happen and I don't think they can afford the storm of ill will if they left a gotcha like that behind. As I just mentioned there's nothing to get for WGA right now I don't believe, its just a verification server that looks at some information given to it about your system and sends back the yay or nay.

Sound advice as far as updates go. I only feel the need to go as far as I need to, meaning some of my software won't run unless I'm at SP3. If you're on a system planted behind a hardware router (firewall) and don't have other systems coming into the network willy nilly, you're already 99% protected. Then all you have to do is watch your vectors Victor, er.., UncleTime, secure browser, don't open attachments, use OpenDNS, sandbox if you like, AV if you like; all the natural barriers will still apply just like before.

Only when software vendors other than MS start to stop supporting XP will the real clock start ticking for its demise; which should be many hours before midnight since even though its ten years old now, its still remarkably contemporary due to MS actually capturing lightening in a bottle for a change (for those of us who prefer superior usability over some OSes that kind of get in the way now an then...supposedly for our own protection), AND due to fantastic third party support.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-10-03 at 06:54.

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2011-10-06)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cool, but, is that a standalone that negates the requirement for an Internet connection, or is it just a way for network deployment for better distribution control or for those as mentioned who don't or can't use I.E.? If its the former SUPER COOL, if its the later the really important question still hangs about what MS is going to do concerning the WGA methodology once support ends. Once they finally wash their hands of it what happens?!? In my head continuing WGA after that makes no sense...Hello, Microsoft? Ah yes I have a question about XP validation on my system? Um, we're sorry but we no longer support XP... But my system keeps getting a popup that says I'm not legit and my background turned black, yada yada yada!....click. So they either have to kill it altogether or validate anything and everything right? Or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks
    Who knows how it will play out. XP has until 2014 at least, possibly longer if enough businesses are still using the os.
    There's always the shady world of activation cracks and similar work-arounds, but we need'nt discuss that here.

Who knows, business might just keep XP alive indefinitely.