3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up a hard drive with DSL modem/router

Hello,

I am interested in setting up a hard drive to my DSL wireles modem/Router. I would like to have the ability of my two laptops access the drive wireless. I have a 2wire AT&T wireless DSL modem/router. It only has ethernet connections which can be used to hook the hard drive. Can someone tell me what kind of hard drive or hard drive device I need to buy to make this happen? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Seba,

What you need is a NAS (Network Attached Storage). You can buy drives by both Western Digital and Segate with this capability. You can also buy just an enclosure and then add your own drives but this is a more technical solution where the WD & Segate options are pretty much plug and play after you load their software and in some cases no additional software is necessary.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I read somewhere that some NAS do not read NTFS partitions, is that right? Which do you recommend?

Thanks
    Personally, I'd recommend either a WD or Segate unit. They have very easy setup and are pretty reliable. I've been using a WD unit for over 5 years w/o a glitch. We recently installed a Segate Go-Flex unit in the office of our homeowners association. It is a little more complex but not much.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek, someone said that I should get an NAS router and hook up multiple USB drives. My current DSL/Modem is not so I would have to buy one, but I could use my two external USB drives instead of buying one. Any recommendations on which one is better (NAS hard drive or NAS router/modem).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >> My current DSL/Modem is not so I would have to buy one, but I could use my two external USB drives instead of buying one.

You could buy a PogoPlug, which would let you use your existing USB drives.

Thanks
    Seba,

Sorry but I don't have any experience with NAS Routers like the PogoPlug so I can't do the comparison.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JJDetroit-Do you have any experience using PogoPlug? It looks like an interesting device and the reviews on Amazon are mixed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have a PogoPlug, and it has worked well for over a year. I have a single WD external hard drive connected, but the PogoPlug has connections for up to 4 drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JJDetroit-is there a way to encrypt the drive before putting it on to a Pogoplug? I have to USB harddrive that I will be using with the Pogoplug, but I am afraid to put sensative information there in case it is stolen.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am far from a seasoned user but would like to offe another brand that is to my full approval. Synology has serveral different types of NAS to everyones purse an capabiltes. They tend to update for free at a regular pace their firmware and a variety of uses is always included. Jus giving a sumup that probably isn't fot the full : nas / mailserver / ftpserver / webserver - blog -site -suveillnace station (ipcamera) /raid of jbod cloud services / running php / sql / cms etc.
    All documented or supported with a users forum. All to be connected throug a web interace and all running on linux/unix for those who master the language there are more things to accomplish.

I wouldn't exclude this in my search.