New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommened partition size for Win7

I just ordered the parts for a new media center PC. The new hard drive size is 1 TB and I want install Win7 home premium 64 bit on the c drive and use the d drive for media files.
    I was thinking of 100-120gb for the c drive partition and the remainder for the d drive. Is this enough space for the OS on the c drive?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello garfau1, welcome to the Lounge.

100-120GB will be plenty for what you seek. In fact 50-60GB would still be just fine - just watch out for growing applications installations and you will be ok. Make sure you point your media players etc to look on your data drive.

There are lots of guides around on how to setup user partitioning to separate the OS from user files. Since you are considering it already, this is an ideal opportunity to setup the User profile on your data partition.

Thanks
    I set my C Drive at 75 GB. Full install Win 7 Ultimate, Office 2010 Pro and numerous other apps with 51 GB still free. I have however moved ALL data able to be moved to my Data Drive. When I installed Win 8 DP, I tool about 50 GB from the Data Drive and now dual boot Win 7 Ultimate with Win 8DP with the 3rd drive as the Data Drive. This way when I restore my OS drives (I tend to "play" with them and have had to restore many times) I do not have to touch the Data Drive. My data remains secure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

Thanks
    I don't understand why you have a 1 TB hd in your pc. Regardlessly of how its partitioned, if it crashes you loose the whole shooting match.
    Very large hdd's should be used as externally storage. It's like parking a car in an aircraft hanger. I do realise normal sized hdd's are quite robust, whereas larger ones are pretty new, so are still of quality unknown.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    There's less need to worry about getting partition sizes absolutely correct because of the welter of products which can resize partitions, quickly and successfully! That said, there's no point doing this just for the fun of it if you can make a good stab at a good operating system partition size when you start.

I have a 640 GB ==> ~600 usable GB hard drive and I've partitioned it C: (W7Pro 64-bit) 200 GB and D: (data) 400 GB. I would have been quite happy to allocate 100 GB or even 75 GB to C:. (All our work XP PCs have smaller disks, and I give XP's C: 40 GB.)

I have a separate internal 640 GB drive which I use for backups, and of course there are further backups to a 1˝ TB NAS box and to a 2 TB external USB hard drive. And partial backups to a second PC located on another floor of the house.

(Did I give the impression that backup was important?!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Yes you did, and I agree. My data is regularly backed up to 2 separate Pc's, whereas I only create new Images when I change something on my OS, or should I say on my 2 OS's (Win 7 and Win 8). I create the Images either from Win 7 or from Acronis boot disk. This usually means a couple times per month I will have a new Image. I do include both OS partitions in each Image so that I can restore whichever is acting up (I tend to "play" a lot with my OS's and have to restore quite a bit). I like to create a new Image each time I make a change to either OS because this allows me to restore in the quickest manner possible as my Image will get me back to the latest configuration of my OS without having to re-apply all changes since the Image was created.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I forgot to say that I also run Shadow Protect! (And very useful it has been on at least two occasions...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I don't understand why you have a 1 TB hd in your pc. Regardlessly of how its partitioned, if it crashes you loose the whole shooting match.
    Very large hdd's should be used as externally storage. It's like parking a car in an aircraft hanger. I do realise normal sized hdd's are quite robust, whereas larger ones are pretty new, so are still of quality unknown.
    The larger hard drives use the same technology as smaller drives; there's nothing new there. I have two 1TB drives in my PC with 15 partitions spread across them (the OS partition is 60GB). I also have two 1TB eSATA external drives I use for backup.

In short, very large hard drives should be used in whatever manner one desires.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The price was right and the drive was rated 4/5 on 484 reviews on newegg. If there is a problem I will have a small image backup of the c drive. Most of the media on the d drive is backed up on dvds or other drives. Also when you DVR TV shows the smaller drives fill up quickly.