3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virtual PC or VMware

Hello,

What is the best way to install a copy of the OS on VMware or other virtual environments? Basically, I have a sony laptop which comes with a lot of extra software that I don't need. I would like to start deleting all extra software via a virtual environment. I want to do this in case I run into problems. The current system is Win7 home premium 64-bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    Hello,

What is the best way to install a copy of the OS on VMware or other virtual environments? Basically, I have a sony laptop which comes with a lot of extra software that I don't need. I would like to start deleting all extra software via a virtual environment. I want to do this in case I run into problems. The current system is Win7 home premium 64-bit.
    Seba,
    Hello... Can't answer the "VM" question..tried it once or twice... Another story... First make a backup image of your OS and store it someplace off your C: drive.... Internal \ external HD flash drive DVD's etc; Plenty of good free Imaging programs out there... Wouldn't use the "Windows" one though... Next and the reason for this reply... If you remove bits of your OS... Windows won't like it EX: Windows Mail , or anything that has "Windows " pinned to it.... I have done this many times and on several OS's .... and it works for me... However.. keep this in mind if at some point when a "SP" is released you won't be able to install it ...because you have eliminated some Windows Blah, Blah... I don't care ..."cause " i don't do updates.... That's your call ...Just be circumspect when removing something ... If its just some AOL Blah, Blah ... or other "Junk" ...No problemo... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. I will try to do a backup or image of the OS and see if this works; however, I am still interested in seen how it work in a virtual environment.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Installing an OS in a virtual environment will do nothing for your host environment. You can't use a VM to uninstall software in the host OS.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes to what Joe says and in addition, it won't give you good info on what the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) reaction is if you recreate the install virtually and test uninstall from there...imaging is a much better way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. Maybe I am not understanding it right, but what I wanted to do is try a new installation of win7 in the virtual environment and add drivers, software as needed. I then want to copy this image to replace my current OS in my laptop. How can I do that without having to re-image the machine and then restoring it if it doesn't work.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I do that without having to re-image the machine and then restoring it if it doesn't work.
    Seba,
    In my opinion ...It would be a lot easier to create an Image of your present OS... Save it in a safe place Ex:... 2nd int \ ext HD or DVD's or Flash drive etc. Then do whatever you want to the original. If it works the way you want,Great.... You now still have the original (as an Image ) so you could always go back if needed. Besides... Imaging is a good habit to get into ... Tryout this free one Macrium Reflect Free Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link Fred. I think I will just do what you recommended. Thanks everyone for your input.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link Fred. I think I will just do what you recommended. Thanks everyone for your input.
    Seba ,
    One more thing .... Make sure that you "burn" the Recovery disk (the LINUX Version ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Seba, when you burn the Macrium Reflect Recovery disk (Linux version), be sure to boot your PC with it to confirm that it works with your computer. If it does not boot, then Macrium includes a compatibility option to the disk as well as a debug mode to solve the boot problems. Using either of these two features will require you to burn another another Linux Recovery disk.

I have had one PC that did not like the standard Linux Recovery disk, and would not boot to it, but the compatibility option worked out just fine. I have one XP machine that would not boot the Linux Recovery disk no matter how it was configured, and I had to go the BartPE route to create a recovery disk. That should be a rare situation, and you not likely see it.

SevenForums has a thread containing a video tutorial link on using Macrium, as well as links to two Macrium tutorials on preparing and using the recovery CD. There is also a tutorial in the Lounge Security & Backups Forum.

How To Geek also has a tutorial on setting up and using Macrium Reflect that can be helpful.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendation Deadeye81. I will watch the video first and then make the Macrium Reflect Recovery disk (Linux version).