Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 and Media Card reader

I'm not sure if this belongs here or more properly in the Hardware forum but I'm sure of the helpful souls here will move it if appropriate. I bought a computer for my boss about a year ago. It's a Gateway with 4GB RAM a 1TB hdd and AMD 64 processor running win7 Pro. Also discrete sound and video cards, and the "9 in 1" media card reader.
    We have had no occasion to use this media card reader until today. Someone gave him a video on an SD Card and he couldn't play it so he called me, and I discovered that the drives I through M do not appear in Computer. When I go to disk management they are there labelled Disk 1 through Disk 9 with the proper letters but no commands available for them other than properties and changed drive letter or path. Even the Eject command is greyed out even though I DID have a card in it.
    Device manage shows them under "Portable Devices" with the proper drive letters. I uninstalled them all and let windows run so it would reinstall them. Sill no joy. I am almost at my wit's end now. I had to walk away because a 5 minute video took up an hour of our time, and there was work to be done. So sorry for the long story, but I need some ideas, help, or whatever you can all provide. Thank you all for being here and contributing this is by far the best place on the web for folks like us who know that all experience and knowledge aside, sometimes you just need another voice!

Thanks again,
    Joela

Thanks
    1 Try reasigning the drive letters, power off computer for a few minutes, then boot up to see if device is detected.

2 Open the case and inspect the cables from the reader to the motherboard to ensure that they are seated properly.

3 Another thing to try would be to uninstall the card reader from device manager then completely
    power off the computer and unplug the card reader from the motherboard. (There should be a USB cable that
    attaches to the board from the card reader). Boot the computer with it unpluged, ensure that it is gone from disk manager & device manager,
    then repeat the process by pluging it back in and booting up. Wait to see if it comes up as "new Hardware" found.

It's also possible that the reader is damaged in some way.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-03 at 20:56.

Thanks
    Other ideas include booting into BIOS to ensure that the USB device is enabled.
    BIOS's vary, yours may have such advanced options.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-03 at 20:57.

Thanks
    When I had a similar problem quite some time ago, I had to do to the manufacturer's site and download new drivers for my device. In my case my laptop is a Sony Vaio and Sony had drivers posted on their site for my various readers. In particular my SD Card was not working. A Google search of the Gateway site shows an entry for drivers and support. Clicking on it will bring up a box where you would enter the appropriate info. I cannot search any further because I do not know the model number of the PC. Good luck.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-04 at 06:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so very much. I had done all but unplugging from the motherboard, but at the end of the day, just removing them from device manager, and doing a power off and restart as opposed to just a reboot finally did the trick and they did then show up in Computer and (with the same old drivers by the way) worked just fine. I guess it was just one of the "Windows" quirks where it worked when it was ready to work and not before!
    Thanks again,
    Joel