Thread: Thanks Button

Thanks

Thanks Button

The "Thanks" button is located at the bottom left of every post within Forum threads.

Thanks Button.jpg

The purpose of the "Thanks" button is to thank a poster for offering advice that proves to be useful in resolving an issue. When a member posts advice that is helpful, simply click the "Thanks" button on the bottom of that member's post. Obviously, not all posts are helpful in achieving a resolution to a computer software or hardware problem, and so should be used only when appropriate.

Simply using the "Thanks" button to thank someone for showing up to contribute a comment or advice dilutes the value of the "Thanks" button feature.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Medico (2011-10-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Simply using the "Thanks" button to thank someone for showing up to contribute a comment or advice dilutes the value of the "Thanks" button feature.
    Is it allowed for someone to say that a Thanks button is thus largely meaningless, and could usefully be removed?
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Thanks
    Thanks for a truly useful post that does contribute to a solution is very appropriate. Thanks for simply asking a question of the OP for clarification of a point or obtaining further info from the OP is counter productive to the Thanks program. I believe the program is appropriate, but that posters, especially those new to the forum, are unfamiliar with what we provide Thanks for. The objective of this thread is to attempt to explain the program to anyone willing to read the thread.

Gerald, thank you for this thread.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-04 at 09:23.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Is it allowed for someone to say that a Thanks button is thus largely meaningless, and could usefully be removed?
    Of course its fine - the site doesn't allow or disallow comments based on whether the comment is agreeable. A discussion forum is only as good as the freedom it allows for every participant to share their experience and opinions.

The only time a comment isn't allowed is if it breaks one of the forum rules. The rules are there for members, admins, and moderators to follow - the admins and moderators created them as guidelines they agree upon to ensure all members are treated equally.

I disagree with your opinion however about the thanks button though. I think it is as useful as the membership makes it, and hopefully reminders about its purpose helps to ensure everyone keeps it as a useful function.

However, I also think you should be able to search for all of a members thanked posts. For example, you have been thanked 19 times in 19 different posts. I bet most of those posts are high quality and interesting, wish I could take a look at them!
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the thanks button.

I’m not a big user of any forum, but of the one or two I’m regular with, I find this a more purposeful message than the “kudos” in some, which turn into a popularity contest for those on either side of an issue. Other forums don’t have anything.

First time poster, long-time reader (of the newsletter).
    I’m new, so you can count that in for whatever my comment is worth. And hello everyone.

Thanks
    George,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster. I think you'll find those here a very good bunch with lots of patience and great advice.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    I disagree with your opinion however about the thanks button though. I think it is as useful as the membership makes it, and hopefully reminders about its purpose helps to ensure everyone keeps it as a useful function.
    I think that was BATcher's point: User's belittle the "Thanks" by trivial use, thus making it UNuseful.

However, I also think you should be able to search for all of a members thanked posts. For example, you have been thanked 19 times in 19 different posts. I bet most of those posts are high quality and interesting, wish I could take a look at them!
    I agree, that IF "Thanked" posts DO represent truly useful posts, it would be nice to seach for them.

Thanks

Thanks for EXCELLENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by George F View Post
    I’m not a big user of any forum, but of the one or two I’m regular with, I find this a more purposeful message than the “kudos” in some, which turn into a popularity contest for those on either side of an issue. Other forums don’t have anything.
    I'd like to see the "THANKS" button renamed to something like "EXCELLENT!" The posted message could read, "The following user marked this post as especially useful."

The WS Lounge is about cooperation, not polarizing issues, so I do not think an EXCELLENT button would turn into a "kudos" popularity contest. I believe renaming it would emphasize its prime purpose and remove the temptation for newbies to be overly "thankful."

Please don't THANK me for this post. It expresses an opinion, but I don't deserve any "kudos" for it.
    Last edited by ruosChalet; 2013-03-17 at 19:39. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    The purpose of the "Thanks" button is to thank a poster for offering advice that proves to be useful in resolving an issue. When a member posts advice that is helpful, simply click the "Thanks" button on the bottom of that member's post. Obviously, not all posts are helpful in achieving a resolution to a computer software or hardware problem, and so should be used only when appropriate.
    I believe this statement of the purpose of THANKS is too broad as almost ALL posts are USEFUL in resolving an issue. No, not all posts directly lead to resolution, but the vast majority are useful. Many times posters offer differing solutions in an attempt to "frame" the problem so that an appropriate resolution CAN be found.

The THANKS button, or the EXCELLENT button as I'd like to see it named, should be reserved for ESPECIALLY USEFUL posts. If it merely thanks a poster for a useful "resolution," the THANKS button should be reserved for the original poster only -- the way many Q&A forums identify "Best Answer." I think ALL posters should be allowed to use the button, but to indentify ESPECIALLY USEFUL posts. An Especially Useful post will contribute greatly to Loungers' knowledge of an issue even if it doesn't resolve the original poster's problem.

I will continue to use the button to MARK especially useful posts. The "thanks" should be implied.

Thanks
    I agree that the thanks button is overused at times. I have seen people that get useful info in one post, but add thanks for all posts in the thread for the person they thanked once. If you wish to thank someone, add a Thanks for that post, but there is no need to add thanks for other posts in that thread unless there is more useful info that adds to your knowledge.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The Thanks Button is really getting abused in some cases. Take this thread. There are literally 40 Thanks given to Rui by one member in this one thread. Heck I received 13 Thanks from this same member in this thread. It just lessens what the Thanks Button is all about. Heck there were thanks given for statements like "Glad we could help". I'm sorry, but that just does not do justice to those that use the Thanks Button for what it was intended. As ruosChalet has stated above, Thanks should be reserved for those excellent suggestions that proves to be useful in solving a problem.

I just do not see the usefulness of this Thanks Button any more. The numbers have been artificially inflated!

Edit: Look at post #197 in the thread. Is this statement worthy of a Thanks? I think not. This is just one example of the many in this one thread alone. Some members miss-use this system very badly. This whole system is really skewered badly and needs to be eliminated!
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-12-16 at 04:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    ...However, I also think you should be able to search for all of a members thanked posts. For example, you have been thanked 19 times in 19 different posts. I bet most of those posts are high quality and interesting, wish I could take a look at them!
    I would also be most thankful if I can view who thanked me and in which post(s). Thank you!