Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Secrets charges for questions?

I referred a friend of mine from an RV Forum here to the WSL and he said that when he came here to ask a question he was told it would cost him 38 dollars????
    I was sure he was confusing this site with another but since I pointed out that I use this forum and never saw any charges for questions or answers that I saw he insisted he came here. Is he just saving face or is there a charge here for posting question I never saw. I doubt it but since I have only answered questions here thought maybe I should ask just to be sure.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Derek Jr; 2011-10-04 at 14:09.

Thanks
    There never has been nor ever will be a charge for posting a question or getting an answer in this forum. The costs of maintaining the forum come from advertisers, not members.

The Windows Secrets Newsletter has a paid section, but this is a pay what you feel the info is worth. Anyone can access the free Newsletter, but only those that have paid a small subscription fee get access to the paid section.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-04 at 16:02.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Right on Ted, thank you very much for clarifying

Derek, if your friend can provide a URL for where he saw this charge, we could look into it further. I don't think it was actually our site that gave him that impression, but even if it is somewhere else, I may want to take a look and make sure some other site isn't giving the freely offered services of WindowsSecrets a bad name!
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went back over there and let them know that there is no charge but I wanted to double check first. He could not have gotten the wrong URL or typed it wrong, as it was a link he was given to click on to ask a question, and I checked the link out first. It brought me to here not a fake website. I told him we were concerned, and for him to email me with exactly what web page told him there was a 38 dollar fee to ask a question. I think he is just mixing up the Windows or other website with this one. I have already started answering some questions here as I do over there on the RV forums. I was 99.9999999% sure he was in error, but again, I am still relatively new here. I am also retired and not looking for a job presently, so can spend some time here helping out occasionally.

BTW Ted I am a paid member for the newsletter, have been for a couple of years. So I get that completely. I always enjoy your posts.

I already corrected it over there and look forward to spending many more visits here reading and posting.
    Last edited by Derek Jr; 2011-10-04 at 15:22. Reason: Deleted the question he was going to ask so he can still ask it and nort be connected with this question.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.justanswer.com/new-questi...8109419&oiov=1
    I am the person Derek is talking about. Just Answer is the one asking for $38.0

Thanks
    Tom, Welcome to the Lounge. New poster are always welcome.

I knew there must have been a mistake. All the very valuable info you received here in the Lounge is always free. Please don't expect to always get an answer to all your problems the first answer, but we have a very high percentage of solutions to those problems presented by our members.

Another hint:

Just Answer.jpg

use the indicated symbol to change your links to something like this"

JustAnswers
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I think I can throw some light on this. Just Answers appears as a banner advertisement in the lounge quite frequently.

wslad.PNG

Thanks
    Nice catch Browni! I bet you are right!

So he just needs to be told to register and use the post new thread button!
    Matt Bidinger

Thanks
    In fact it is up there on my screen right now. I clicked on a google link once and ended up at Just Answers and was appalled at the idea some "innocent" would go there to get an answer that was freely given here or on the Q & A sites. I realize advertising revenue is important but some of the things that are on the Newsletter and here, give a bad impression of what Windows Secrets is all about. My NSHO.

Barbara

Thanks
    Yeah, some of the ads here are distasteful to say the least.
    Some of them even run counter to the majority of advice given out.

Then again, I would be the last person to take notice of ads. I usually ignore them completely, any site anyhwere everywhere.
    It's scary that there are people out there who actually read them and take them seriously.

Stop it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Some of them even run counter to the majority of advice given out.
    THAT in particular!!

Thanks
    If you can take a screenshot or provide a URL of any ad you think is bad for the site, please report it by starting a thread in this section. Many ads are rotated by google based on your browsing history, other ads are specifically sold and placed by iNet.

Either way however, if there is an ad you feel is bad for the site, we can try to specifically remove or block anything that is reported.
    Matt Bidinger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I.M.O.G. For This Useful Post:

charanne (2011-10-06)

Thanks
    This is good to hear. Are you speaking of just here in the Lounge or in the weekly Newsletter?

I don't have one at hand right now, but in the past have seen Registry cleaner advertisements, even as the problem with these was being discussed.

In the newsletter, I object to PC Matic psychologically because of their TV commercial. If that wasn't in my face, I probably would never notice it in the newsletter.

Barbara

Thanks
    Just the lounge please.

Anything related to the newsletter should be reported through this contact information, so that the editors can address it directly (otherwise, its an extra step for me to pass on your question to them):
    http://windowssecrets.com/contact/

Here's a rhetorical question... Take the registry cleaner for example. All someone has to do is search on the site or ask in the lounge and we'd give them good guidance. If they want to be well informed, we provide the information they can use and we'll answer questions directly if they are unsure of anything. But if they don't want to get educated with the resources we provide or if they don't want to join in our discussions - they're just visitors from google passing through and they aren't contributing to the growth of the site or the community. Is it also the site's responsibility to protect those people from clicking on an ad that supports the site?

Reg cleaners and pc matic certainly aren't for me either, but I don't know that they really hurt anything. I'm open minded though and can be influenced otherwise.
    Matt Bidinger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Nice catch Browni! I bet you are right!

So he just needs to be told to register and use the post new thread button!
    He could be a newb and still needs guidance, particularly in what is part of the website & what is advertising!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast