New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Unable to install Microsoft updates KB2508429,KB2510531,KB2412687,KB2509553

Hello all, I have tried to install the MS updates & have been unable to. Am running windows xp home, avast free antivirus, private firewall 7. Also unable to do a system restore even from a safe boot...Any ideas. Have run virus scans & malaware bytes. free edition. Have found nothing but spyware cookies.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    g3b

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Have you tried downloading the fixes separately from Microsoft and applying one at a time?

Have you disabled your anti-virus while trying to install?

You can always contact Microsoft for no charge support on security issues. "For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY".

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, the issue is with parents computer will try them next week...
    Thanks again!
    g3b

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy You're not the only one...

In addition to Windows Secrets, I subscribe to other computing newsletters. While I find the Patch Watch Column, especially the list of what to install (or not), helpful, I often find myself confused when I cannot locate the recommended patches or they won't install on my system (HP small business dc5700 microtower, WIN7 32-bit, Core2Duo processor E4500, 2GHz, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) running Norton IS2011 & Malwarebytes (free; run multiple times daily whenever I leave the PC) without ever finding any problems.
    I backup every other day to an external drive and do system images monthly. My system has slowed considerably in the past few weeks. I read the posts about the destruction of multiple computers after installing the latest round of MS updates, but they didn't specify which ones... (http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2011/10...esday.htm?nl=1). It's gotten so I'm more afraid to install the updates than not. I've corresponded with Susan Bradley, but perhaps I'm not sufficiently 'techie' to understand some of her responses - although I am far from a newbie. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I understand the offered updates may vary according to ones' system; but what am I supposed to do?
    The MS pages explaining the updates are a bad joke. My Secunia PSI scan shows I'm missing many updates Susan said not to install. I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I have impaired vision and not much free time to restore my system if updates crash it. Any assistance would be appreciated.