2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power unit for Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop

Hi to all,

I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop computer running 64 bit Windows 7. I would like to use the OpenGL function but my video board will not handle Adobe’s minimum requirements so I bought a MSI R5450 Graphics card as a replacement. Now I find that my DELL has a 300W power supply and MSI “Suggests” a minimum of 400W for this board. If I install this card will it work or create major problems? I don’t play any games so I don’t need faster animation redraws but I don’t want to burn up my present power unit until I possibly replace it with a more powerful unit.

This creates another problem – How do I find out what power units will fit in my computer? Are they normally, remove a couple of screws, put the new one in place and replace the screws or something more involved like cutting or altering the case? I am a senior citizen newbie with a minimum amount of computer expertise so is a power unit replacement something I can do myself or best left to a computer repair store? Of course, I am trying to do this with a minimum of cost. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    AFAIK all Dell desktops use industry standard PSU's. The same can not be said about the motherboards.

Yours takes a standard ATX power supply and they are widely available. Googling DELL Inspiron 530 Power Supply will get you a ton of ads. For example, here is a 400W unit:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817707049

Changing a power supply is not very difficult, but of course you have to take the usual precautions, like uplugging everything and discharging. And be sure to have everything backed up first - you never know.

For replacement procedures check this out:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...HTML/parts.htm

Jock

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jockmullin For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2011-10-06)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Dell cases are sometimes non-standard ATX cases. A standard ATX PSU will align against the screw holes in the case, but it is possible (I've been there!) that the power socket may be very slightly obstructed by one or more flanges on the rear of case.

Five minutes with a Dremmel would sort it if necessary, but that would generate a lot of contamination.

Try to get a good picture of the rear of the replacement PSU and compare that against the opening on the dell just to be certain. The best bet that I've found is where the power lead enters at 90 degrees to the one in the newegg picture. That way, if there are any flanges on the case, they won't obstructed the power socket.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jock,
    Thank you for the speedy reply.
    The 400W unit you suggest from Newegg (where I bought the video board) is a StarTech ATXPW400DELL 400W that sounds good but a customer rating I got from a message on the Dell site does not mention it as compatible with my Inspiron 530:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1762868&cs=04&c=us&l=en&ST =startech atxpw400dell&dgc=ST&cid=42228&lid=1080194&acd=7369 1,9358,358529,109667743,724436096,1317855909,,1824 4962,308143920#Overview
    I am almost afraid to order something I am not sure of.

Thanks
    Your replacement should be similar in physical dimension to your current one.
    As others have said, you should have no trouble with a standard ATX PSU as long as the physical dimensions add up, so get your tape measure out
    to check your current one.

Replacing your power supply will require that you have access to the motherboard and other components like the HDD, CD/DVD drive, or GPU if any.
    See the article below:

How to replace a PSU

Taking electrostatic precautions

Also, plug your Dell computers tag number into the Dell support site to get more specific details and related specs regarding your setup.
    You can also consult with Dell for a replacement if you are still unsure. (probably the best way to go)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-05 at 22:30.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all that took the time to respond.

I figured that DELL installed the smallest wattage power unit that would run the Inspiron 530 and would have an upgraded one available at additional cost that would easily slip right in place when ordered as an upgrade, but I can’t find one on the DELL site or by Googling. Failing that I also thought that some enterprising manufacturer would offer an upgrade and advertise as a direct replacement for the small DELL unit but if they do I can’t find one advertised as such. With my lack of computer expertise I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a unit that may or may not install with a minimum of modification. I am really interested in something that requires just removing a few cables, taking out a few screws, removing the power unit and reversing the process with a new unit. Before I even posted the questions I did a lot of searching on the internet and found that while most had specifications available, the data didn’t mean much to me so I don’t feel prepared to attempt to do this myself. I am not very handy with tools and my computer experience is limited to replacing memory boards but I do appreciate all of your help and will have to find a friend or pay a computer shop to do this if I choose this route.

I am also still interested in the question I asked in my original inquiry: I bought a MSI R5450 Graphics card. Now I find that my DELL has a 300W power supply and MSI “Suggests” a minimum of 400W for this board. If I install this card will it work or create major problems, or possibly slow my graphics down? I never play any games so I don’t need faster animation redraws that some games require but I don’t want to burn up my present power unit trying to keep up.

Again, thank you to all that responded, I really do appreciate your input. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

As an example to what I posted above; TigerDirect is offering a Cooler Master Elite Series Power Supply - 460 Watts, ATX for $20 plus free shipping and has all kinds of pictures and specifications listed with the item but they never list what computers the unit is a direct replacement for, or if they do I don’t understand. It is a very economical unit and several reviews rate it highly. Would this fit my requirements and install easily?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5079834&sku=C283-2060&SRCCODE=WEM2845BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2845-_-tigeremail2845

Thanks
    For what its worth, I found this Dell replacement power supply at eBay. Seller has a high rating with many transactions. Might be worth a look.

Disclaimer: I am not an eBay seller, but I have made some purchases there for tech items, and so far have not been disappointed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Deadeye81

Thank you for the link. I will investigate.

Thanks
    I am also still interested in the question I asked in my original inquiry: I bought a MSI R5450 Graphics card. Now I find that my DELL has a 300W power supply and MSI “Suggests” a minimum of 400W for this board. If I install this card will it work or create major problems, or possibly slow my graphics down? I never play any games so I don’t need faster animation redraws that some games require but I don’t want to burn up my present power unit trying to keep up.
    The recommendation is correct, you should have at least a 400W PSU

As an example to what I posted above; TigerDirect is offering a Cooler Master Elite Series Power Supply - 460 Watts, ATX for $20 plus free shipping and has all kinds of pictures and specifications listed with the item but they never list what computers the unit is a direct replacement for, or if they do I don’t understand. It is a very economical unit and several reviews rate it highly. Would this fit my requirements and install easily?
    Many of these PSUs are not intended to replace any specific make or model of computer. You'll need to ensure whatever replacement will physically fit inside your case
    by looking at the measurement specs against what you currently have. Get your tape measure out or go look at what Dell had in your case originally.
    The one you have listed from TD should fit fine. Personally I'd go for something a bit more modular to save clutter of wires.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-06 at 19:32.