3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Share a Folder between 2 Win7 machines without Homegroup

I have two Win7 machines, DESK, LAP1, and an XP machine, LAP2 on a WORKGROUP network. I wish to share a DESK folder to the LAP1. Right click the folder and Share gives options of Nobody and Homegroup. I followed the advice in recent newsletters and turned off Homegroup, reverting to 'classic' sharing. If I go to the folder Properties, and use the 'Sharing' tab, 'Share' button, I have a choice of 'Admin' (me) 'everyone', or 'Ceate a New User'
    As there are actually three machines on the net, I wish to specifically share with LAP1. 'Everyone would seem to share with all three machines, but I cannot see how to specify only users, or a specific user on LAP1. If I use the 'Advanced Sharing' button and enter LAP1 as the object It refuses the entry. Help greatly appreciated
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can't share a folder with a user that your computer does not know (or a user from another computer), unless your computer is part of a Windows domain (and you'd need a machine running Windows Server for that).
    What you can do is to create an account with the same user name and password as the one in LAP1 and then the LAP1 user will be able to access the shared folder very easily, without even needing authentication.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui

Many Thanks. I have just spent two days trying to do the (obvious) but impossible. One thing, in all my experimentation, turning sharing on and off I now have NO shared folders (to the best of my knowledge) so why does one of my previously shared folders still have the padlock symbol on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts