New Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Fields in a document converted to html...how (Office 2000-word sr1)

I wish to take a word document which has a mail merge in a form letter, (as well as the header doc and data doc), convert them to html. And then use them, so that I could create a completed doc with new data on line....any ideas using Word and Frontpage?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge Fields in a document converted to html...how (Office 2000-word s

Hi, Fran403.

I'm a bit curious as to what your trying to do. Do you want a form where data will be add on-line, or are you talking about publishing the results?

If the former, I'm clueless. If the latter, why not leave the main and data as-is, merge to a new document and then convert the result to HTML?
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

What I would like to do is a mail merge using the internet.....I want to use a document that I can fill in data, have that data inserted into a main document and then be able to print out that document at a remote location.

An example might be.....I want to say thanks to a person who I saw in a business situation. I have a form letter which I send to everyone....I want to be able to insert the person's name, address, and a few unique pieces of information into the form letter using a field ?, have the data saved as well as have the data inserted into my form letter, so that I can print the letter locally. The original documents would be on my weblocation. I would use a browser to fill in the data forms and create the new document.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks

You can do this with ASP; most servers hosting FrontPage webs support ASP.

(1) Save your merge form letter as HTML from inside Word. This will create a hideously ugly set of code that comes as close as possible to the original. Rename the file with a .asp extension and import it into your web.

(2) Create a standard FrontPage form that collects the information you want. Make the form action the name of the above document, with the method=Post. Suppose, for example, that one of your fields is "txtName".

(3) In the ASP page, change your field codes, which are not valid in HTML, to ASP field codes. They look like this:

<%=Request.Form("txtName")%>

You might need to go into the HTML pane to do this, or use the HTML Markup Advanced Component to insert them.

The data you enter into your form should then populate the letter, and it should look tolerably close to a Word document. In fact, because Word has larded it up with proprietary tags during the Save as HTML, you could then open it in Word and it would be pretty close to the original.

Does this do what you need? If you want to get heavy into FP or ASP, you might want to post additional questions (with a link back to this thread) on one of those boards.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks --- I will give it a try and let you know.