New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 - Exchange settings seem locked out.

Can any advisors here help over a problem with Outlook 2010 (and also 2007, which I've tried.)? I suspect that my attempts to setup a new profile to connect to my university Exchange server have somehow produced a registry (or other) entry which is locking me out when I try to connect. I get: "The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

The first time, I got as far as the login box for the uni server, but I made an error in entering my username and the connection was refused. Every attempt since has resulted in the above error message on trying to check name, and the new profile is not created. The IT bods at work have tried to sort it but admit they are stumped.

It looks to me like a registry entry causing the problem, but I'm at a loss what to do.

The POP3 for my personal accounts work OK.

I should add I've checked and double checked the setup details for the profile, and they are exactly as prescribed for a PC connecting to the server using Outlook 2007/2010.
    Last edited by tomnoddy; 2011-10-06 at 07:52. Reason: inadequate original entry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you setting up a new mail profile or a new account in your current profile?

If you are permitting Outlook to automatically configure the connection, try doing it manually.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I made an error in my original Outlook profile entry on a new OS - on checking the name an error message appeared saying the connection to the server couldn't be made and I then couldn't delete the profile. Trying a new profile from Mail in the Control Panel the same message appeared once I clicked the check name button, and I still couldn't delete the original erroneous profile or change its properties. In the end I managed to delete the original profile by going into the registry, but even a correct profile gave the error on connection and Outlook closed.

I think a registry entry somewhere is keeping this behaviour alive, but have no idea where to find it. I managed to repeat the problem on another PC and could roll it back using System Restore to function correctly, but it's too late for that on the computer with the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem here. I'm using MS Outlook 2010 Professional with SP1 update installed. It stopped Receiving or Sending emails. All the settings are correct.
    This i set up an account on another computer running MS Office 2003. Same problem.
    Same problem on the Android phone.

However, corporate webmail is working.

What could be the reason?

Thanks for your help.
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]