New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010 64bit import error

I tried to import a text file and an Excel spreadsheet into an existing database in order to create a new table and recieved this message:"The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports. You should back up your database before attempting to open the database and delete the VBA project." When I click OK to delete it I get a message that says essentially that wizards aren't working, there is a registry error, I can re-run setup or re-install the wizard using the add-in manager.

Microsoft's site is not helpful on this at all. The only way I could get the data was to get an associate create the table on their computer and send it to me.

Any suggestions besides re-installing office?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry to ask, but is there a specific reason for you to be using the 64 bit access version?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, but since I installed the 64 bit Office suite, I got 64 bit Access. Importing data to create or update tables has not been a problem in the past, even with 64 bit, so I suspect a recent update created the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I asked because not even Microsoft recommends using the 64 bit Office version over the 32 bit version, except in very special cases, usually related to large size Excel sheets. So I would advise that if you'd want to reinstall Office, to remove the 64 bit version and install the 32 bit version instead.

Can you run any code from that database, outside the import scenario? Have you tried a compact and repair?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is a not uncommon error that occurs in other situations as well, whether dealing with 32-bit or 64-bit office. SP1 of Office 2010 fixed some of the issues, but not all, and created some new ones as I understand it. If you have SP1 installed, you may want to uninstall it. Also, what format is the database - .mdb or .accdb? You might also want to do a decompile of the database - see Roger's Access Blog for example on how to do a decompile. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may want to dump the entire VBA project to text and then rebuild it. Access databases have a history of going corrupt from time to time - if you need assistance on the export to text, post back.
    Wendell