4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd eSATA behavior

I have an XP system, wherein, if there is more than one partition on an eSATA drive the last partition will show up with a drive letter but no size information and it makes the computer act as if though the drive is dying by becoming sluggish while it is trying to resolve the partition information each time a My Computer window is opened.

I have another eSATA drive on a almost identical XP system with only one partition that works fine and on the problem system, if I boot into W7 instead, the drive shows and works perfectly. This problem has been reproduced on the system with two separate eSATA drives (different cables), one with two partitions, the other with 3. In each case it is the most distant partition that won't display correctly, so in the first case partition 1 works fine, 2 does not, second case 1 and 2 work fine, 3 does not.

So I'm currently in the process of arranging to fit the system with a single partition eSATA drive to see what happens, Windows has been updated to current, mobo drivers and such have been updated where applicable.

Anyone have a clue?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the driver manufacturer's site?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, got a 2TB eSATA, single partition drive hooked up now and it works right as rain so...have no idea why the last partition of a multiple partition eSATA drive does not work. This is a system where the eSATA port is soldered to the mobo so no changing or swapping SATA ports is possible...Hmmm.