New Lounger
    Thanks

Is remote desktop secure enough to use over an internet connection

By default, I am wondering if it is necessary to use windows 7 remote desktop from within a vpn connection if one needs to connect remotely between a business network windows 7 pc to home windows 7 pc or if it now contains enough built-in security that a vpn is no longer necessary.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    VPN is better. You should consider changing the default port for RDP as the default is a well known port these days.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's my opinion, but I need to understand the specifics. Without utilizing a TS Gateway, is data encrypted sufficiently for an over the internet connection? I don't see anywhere to enable encryption from the options tab or do I need to configure that elsewhere? I see comments in various places (I have researched some) that by default remote desktop in Windows 7 uses RC4 128bit encryption, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that to be true if I'm simply enabling remote desktop and does that include encryption of the login/username/password?

I also see there is a registry hack to enable NLA in XP machines which would be handy; first install XP SP3, then edit the registry settings on the XP client machine to allow NLA so one doesn't need to downgrade the authentication required by Windows 7 PCs.

It just seems a little flimsy to me because it's not evident what security is built in to remote desktop in Windows 7 as opposed to previous versions that were not secure enough for use over the internet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See MSDN - Remote Desktop Protocol & Wikipedia - RDP for a more information.

Joe