3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get Windows/XP prog to install.

I have an old graphics program that I got with a camera I purchased in 2003. It worked fine in XP but wont install in Win 7. The setup.exe program fails with this:

errormsg.jpg

I've tried compatability mode for XP and 98 but get the same error. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    The program may be just too archaic for Windows 7. It might be a 16 bit software program. If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise edition, you can download a free XP Pro edition from Microsoft to use in XP Mode.

It would be a stretch, but have you tried the camera manufacturer for an updated version of the software?

If you use Win7 Home Premium, and have a licensed copy of XP that is not currently installed, you can download a virtual machine application such as VirtualBox to host XP. Your software should run in that environment.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    I have an old graphics program that I got with a camera I purchased in 2003. It worked fine in XP but wont install in Win 7. The setup.exe program fails with this:

Anyone have any ideas?
    "HS",
    Hello... Have you considered dual booting XP and Windows "7" ?... It's not that hard. I do this with Vista , XP and "7"... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    The program may be just too archaic for Windows 7. It might be a 16 bit software program. If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise edition, you can download a free XP Pro edition from Microsoft to use in XP Mode.

It would be a stretch, but have you tried the camera manufacturer for an updated version of the software?

If you use Win7 Home Premium, and have a licensed copy of XP that is not currently installed, you can download a virtual machine application such as VirtualBox to host XP. Your software should run in that environment.
    I'm sure your first paragraph is correct. I assume that setup.exe is a 16 bit program as its properties show a creation date of 1998.

I have checked with the camera manufacturer, they don't have a newer version. The software manufacturer has a newer version but it ain't free.

I've thought of using a VM, and may give it a try.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    "HS",
    Hello... Have you considered dual booting XP and Windows "7" ?... It's not that hard. I do this with Vista , XP and "7"... Regards Fred
    Been there done that. Am now trying Deadeye81's suggestion of a virtual XP.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It installed in 32bit win/xp.

but i want it installed in 64 bit win7

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm head over heels for VMs now, don't even consider dual or triple boots with new builds anymore (unless the system is on the anemic side as far as performance goes). If you use VMWare Player or import an XP Mode install to VMWare Player, there is a operating mode called Unity you can put the VM into where it shows up as a menu on the host, so its almost like running it from within Win7. You'll notice the performance hit accessing the VM though unless the VM resides on another drive, preferably a good SSD; then it rocks!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Sometimes with older programs it is just the installer wrapper that is 16-bit. See if you can find out about command line switches for the program installer. You may be able to use a switch to just decompress the installation files then copy them from the XP VM to the Win7 PC. You should be able to figure out what to run. Could be install.exe or setup.exe or somethine else.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want a graphics program, you are living in a world of free (and otherwise) graphics programs that can run rings around the older programs. If you have Office, you even have Microsoft Office Picture Manager (in Office\Tools). I guess you'd have to post in a different forum if you want to ask, but there is no shortage of available programs and opinions. One recent discovery for me is XnView, which might interest you.