Thanks

A question about firewire on drive dock (SOLVED!)

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing this Vantec hard drive dock, but I had a question about using it first. I know that it only has eSata, USB, and Firewire 800 ports on it, but would it be possible to use a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 male to male cord and still achieve FW400 speed? If so, then it would qualify as a quad interface, with the three different ports, and a forth possible through an adapter.

I like the idea of HDD docks instead of enclosures, because then I can accommodate both 2.5'' and 3.5'' drives.
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-10-13 at 23:55.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    See if this MacWorld article has any info that may be of use to you in this issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Diogones (2011-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanks for the helpful reply, Deadeye! You were absolutely right; the MacWorld article explained that different speeds of Firewire can be used interchangeably, as long as the right connectors are used. It's just like USB, where the faster speeds are still reverse compatible with the slower protocols. I got the dock and I have to say, even though it does feel a little cheaply made (probably because it's almost complete plastic) it works well, and I've already used multiple drives in it with great success! Thanks again for the link.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"